Author Topic: σου λείπει νους -> you have no brain, you're dumb, you're stupid  (Read 469 times)

Anacostia

• Semi-Newbie
I'm not sure if this is slang or just a made-up word, but I have encountered this term and cannot locate any definition. The meaning is unclear from the context Any help?
« Last Edit: 07 Jun, 2011, 09:26:00 by wings »

crystal

• krystallia.katsarou
    • krystalliakatsarou
    • crystaurelia
    • crystaurelia
Re: σουλειπεινούς
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jun, 2011, 01:02:10 »
Hey Anacostia! :)

Well, to begin with, it is NOT one word lol! We're actually talking about 3 words σου λείπει νους or, if you wish in upper case, ΣΟΥ ΛΕΙΠΕΙ ΝΟΥΣ meaning literally you have no brain and figuratively you're dumb or stupid.

Could you provide us with a context (it is advisable always to do that) so as to get the real use of the word?

I think it would look something like this:

Αυτό το λογοπαίγνιο μου θυμίζει εκείνο που έκανε η δική μου γιαγιά όταν ήταν κοριτσάκι(στις αρχές του προηγούμενα αιώνα) και την έστελνε η μάνα της στο μπακάλικο. ΄Οταν κάποιος περίεργος τη ρωτούσε τι επρόκειτο να ψωνίσει εκείνη απαντούσε : σουλειπεινούς.
Ο περίεργος απομακρυνόταν απορημένος γιατί δεν γνώριζε το προϊόν, αλλά αν το έβλεπε γραμμένο θα διάβαζε :σου λείπει νους.(Και μάλλον θα θύμωνε).

http://sarantakos.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/burdakoy/

It's a sort of a pun used when you don't want to answer a question a nosy parker (someone probably silly too) has made to you and it is meant to make fun of him, but not in an obvious way of course. He would then run away baffled and wondering what this word means and it would be only after a while and once he got to see or imagine the word written down that he would understand that he had actually just been called stupid! Like "gotcha" in a way or "you've just been pranked"!

λείπω [lípo] Ρ4α : [...] (έκφρ.) του λείπει το μυαλό / ο νους, δεν έχει μυαλό, είναι βλάκας.
Λεξικό της κοινής νεοελληνικής του ιδρύματος Μανόλη Τριανταφυλλίδη

Anacostia

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jun, 2011, 21:53:07 »
Oh, thank you! That's it exactly! Now that I see your explanation, it seems so obvious, but I would not have figured it out on my own. All I can say is... μουλειπεινούς!
« Last Edit: 07 Jun, 2011, 22:06:40 by wings »

mavrodon

This expression is not much in use. Something similar is "είσαι λειψός", meaning a person that lacks brains/he or she is short of brains

crystal

• krystallia.katsarou
    • krystalliakatsarou
    • crystaurelia
    • crystaurelia
« Reply #4 on: 07 Jun, 2011, 23:48:08 »
Oh, thank you! That's it exactly! Now that I see your explanation, it seems so obvious, but I would not have figured it out on my own. All I can say is... μουλειπεινούς!

You're welcome Anacostia and allow me to say that at times we all... μασλειπεινούς lol! :)