Author Topic: Τὴν ἀρχὴν ὅ, τι καὶ λαλω̃ ὑμι̃ν (John 8:25) -> Just what I have been saying to you from the very beginning  (Read 4310 times)

m1rr0rshade

this is supposedly from John 8:25, but when i looked it up, my bible gave parallel translations.

one read, "what i have told you from the very beginning"

and the other, "why should i speak to you at all?"

so i was wondering which one the above reads, and if neither is accurate, what your best rendering would be.

thanks,
paul
« Last Edit: 16 Apr, 2008, 20:03:51 by billberg23 »

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
    • vicky.papaprodromou
    • papaprodromou
    • ThePoetsILoved
    • hellenicwings
    • Ποίηση, ποιητές, ποιήματα, Θεσσαλονίκη
Απ: Τήν άρχήν ό τι χάι λαλω̃ ύμι̃ν
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan, 2005, 12:56:00 »
Hello, Paul.

The second one is the best and most accurate translation, i.e. "Why should I speak to you at all?"

The whole verse 8:25 is "So they told him, "Who are you?" Jesus answered, "Why should I speak to you at all?"
and sometimes the translations omit the final question mark symbol of the original text of your phrase, which is " ελεγον ουν αυτω, Συ τίς ει; ειπεν αυτοις ο Ιησους, Την αρχην ο τι και λαλω υμιν;"

My original version of the New Testament, published by the Archdiocese of Athens, gives a question-mark for the end of the phrase.

However, if finally there is no question mark, the first translation you found applies best. I will try to check it out from other sources, too.

I hope it's clear now.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan, 2005, 13:02:47 by wings »

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
    • vicky.papaprodromou
    • papaprodromou
    • ThePoetsILoved
    • hellenicwings
    • Ποίηση, ποιητές, ποιήματα, Θεσσαλονίκη
Απ: Τήν άρχήν ό τι χάι λαλω̃ ύμι̃ν
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan, 2005, 13:18:41 »
Dear Paul,

After searching for various versions of the Bible, I came out with the result that there is no question mark at the end of the phrase.

Thus, the exact translation would be "Just what I have been saying to you from the very beginning." I think this is final.

vmelas

Re: Τήν άρχήν ό τι χάι λαλω̃ ύμι̃ν
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan, 2005, 19:06:14 »
I agree with Vicky's last rendition ....

BTW which were the two versions you were using ?

m1rr0rshade

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan, 2005, 07:42:00 »
just one... the Good News Bible

i don't know how authoritative it is, i've had it since i was in grade school....

but it does have footnotes with alternate translations, hence the two versions of the text.

vmelas

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan, 2005, 21:08:58 »
Try the King James Bible.. It is the closest translation of the Greek and/or Hebrew text. There is also a version of King James that has on one page the English and on the opposite page the ancient Greek so you can corelate the lines of each passage.

Valentini