προτού «αποφασιστεί» από την κοινή γνώμη . . .

Guest · 23 · 4144

marian m

. . . ότι η άλφα ή ο βήτα «τα έπιασαν»

before they are “tried” in the court of public opinion that so and so “caught them”

Υπάρχει καλύτερη λύση; All suggestions are welcome!

Eυχαριστώ!

zephyrous

Μια πρώτη, πρόχειρη σκέψη: Προτού υποστούν/περάσουν από τη λαϊκή κρίση;
(Ωχ, με παρακολουθεί η... big sister και δεν πρέπει να πετάω "προχειριές") :))
« Last Edit: 01 Aug, 2006, 02:55:25 by zephyrous »

elena petelos

• Qui ne dit mot consent.
Μια πρώτη, πρόχειρη σκέψη: Προτού υποστούν/περάσουν από τη λαϊκή κρίση;

I could well be wrong, but I'm under the impression this is into Eng (i.e. prior to the public... etc. ...and you should be in bed anyway! ;-))

Also...

. . . ότι η άλφα ή ο βήτα «τα έπιασαν»

that so and so “caught them”

"Caught them", but... isn't the actual meaning of «τα έπιασαν»:
"being bribed" (as in make illegal payments to in exchange for favors or influence; "This judge can be bought" )? (Perhaps "caught them" in usage, but I've never heard it and I very much doubt it.)

banned8

Φαντάζομαι ότι σ' ενδιαφέρει η προς τα αγγλικά μετάφραση.

Μια πρόταση: before (the court of) public opinion passes judgment on whether ...

zephyrous

Ιnto English... Μάλιστα! Να μάθω να κοιτάω πρώτα. Άντε, καληνύχτες... :)

elena petelos

Ιnto English... Μάλιστα! Να μάθω να κοιτάω πρώτα. Άντε, καληνύχτες... :)
Είσαι και άρρωστος, θες και Τ!
φφφφ

zephyrous

Άρρωστο είναι το μυαλό σου, που θέλεις να με πλακώσεις στις αντιβιώσεις και στους ορούς. :)

elena petelos

Άρρωστο είναι το μυαλό σου, που θέλεις να με πλακώσεις στις αντιβιώσεις και στους ορούς. :)

Mικρό, τριανταφυλλένιο (και ανόητο),
Δεν μπορείς να στέλνεις μήνυμα: "Μα φταίω εγώ που αρρώστησα μόλις πάτησα το πόδι μου εδώ;" και μετά να παραπονιέσαι.
Besides, ΕΓΩ ΕΙΠΑ ΑΝ ΕΙΝΑΙ ΙΩΣΗ , ΝΑ ΜΗΝ ΠΑΡΕΙΣ ΑΝΤΙΒΙΩΣΗ. :) There.
:))) (Τον ορό που τον βρήκες; Κι άλλος με "αποκυήματα φαντασίας". Θα πέσω να πνιγώ! :)))
φφφφ

zephyrous

Το #_$!_#@%$-αμε πάλι το νήμα. Οπότε, φφφ ή xxx, και να γυρίσουμε στα πισιά μας. ;)

marian m

Perhaps "caught them" in usage, but I've never heard it and I very much doubt it.)

΄Ελενα,
Μα και εγώ δεν είχα ακούσει ότι «τα έπιασαν» είναι slang for “they were bribed/bought off”– I guess I've got a lot to learn!

before (the court of) public opinion passes judgment on whether ...

Nick,
Μία απππορία: προσπαθείς να παρακολουθήσεις το punctuation style of the original? Shouldn't "judgment" be in quotes since without it the tone of the original (which is obviously sarcastic here) would be missing?

BTW: All of your suggestions are very helpful. :-) Thanks so much! 

elena petelos

΄Ελενα,
Μα και εγώ δεν είχα ακούσει ότι «τα έπιασαν» είναι slang for “they were bribed/bought off”– I guess I've got a lot to learn!

Κυκλοφορεί το "τα έπιασαν", αλλά συχνότερα έχει μια διάρκεια το φαινόμενο.
:)))
"Tα έπαιρναν".
:)

Philip

• μεγαλώνουν, μεγαλώνουν ...

Μία απππορία: προσπαθείς να παρακολουθήσεις το punctuation style of the original? Shouldn't "judgment" be in quotes since without it the tone of the original (which is obviously sarcastic here) would be missing?

If I may step in here:  personally I wouldn't use quotes here.  They are much less frequently used in English than in Greek to indicate words used metaphorically or ironically, and their use here would either puzzle the reader, or  suggest that the writer was (a) inexperienced or (b) motivated by some overwhelming passion.  Quotes around a single word in English tend to mean thet the writer is dissociating him/herself from the word - "I am using this word, but it's somebody else's characterisation of the situation, not mine" - or something like "I'm not really fond of this word, but let's use it for the sake of argument"
But how shall men meditate in that, which they cannot understand? How shall they understand that which is kept close in an unknown tongue?

THE TRANSLATORS TO THE READER
Preface to the King James Version 1611

banned8

Ομολογώ ότι δεν με προβλημάτισε καθόλου το θέμα των εισαγωγικών, αλλά, τώρα που το ρωτάς, βλέπω ότι έχει εισαγωγικά στο ελληνικό και κανονικά δεν θα έβαζα εισαγωγικά ούτε στο «αποφασιστεί». Θα τα άφηνα στη λαϊκή έκφραση «τα έπιασαν» του ελληνικού. Όχι όμως στο αγγλικό.

Συμφωνώ με τις προτάσεις της Ελένης:
...whether this one or that one has been bribed / has been bought off

marian m

If I may step in here: personally I wouldn't use quotes here. They are much less frequently used in English than in Greek to indicate words used metaphorically or ironically, and their use here would either puzzle the reader, or suggest that the writer was (a) inexperienced or (b) motivated by some overwhelming passion. Quotes around a single word in English tend to mean thet the writer is dissociating him/herself from the word - "I am using this word, but it's somebody else's characterisation of the situation, not mine" - or something like "I'm not really fond of this word, but let's use it for the sake of argument"
Philip,
How else could I convey the writer's tone? Is there perhaps another option in English . . . like italics?  It seems like something is needed.

banned8

Marian, this is the rather lax use of the quotation marks in Greek and does not convey anything even in Greek (IMO). Placing them in English (or italicising or whatever) overstresses a point that was probably never there and betrays the message instead of being faithful to it.

Search Tools