ὅτε αἶγα τῇ θεῷ μὴ θύοις, ουϰ ἐτιμῶ.

jmorsay

My translation: Whenever you were not sacrificing goats to the gods, you were not honored.

Is this correct?

thank you

billberg23

• Words ail me.
The same old problem again, JM:  αἶγα and θεῷ are SINGULAR, not plural.  You really need to study those declensions.

τῇ θεῷ is feminine singular.  We've seen the form before.

"Whenever" would be ὅταν + subjunctive.   ὅτε μὴ means "unless." 

jmorsay

My translation: Unless you sacrificed a goat to the goddess, you were not honored.

did I cover my mistakes?

thank you

billberg23

• Words ail me.
You sure did, JM.  I'm not sure why Hanson wrote this sentence with a present optative, but we might bring out its sense with something like "Unless you would sacrifice a goat ..., you weren't being honored."

Here's an idea for you to think over, JM.  There's a wonderful first-year Greek grammar available for you to download and print at http://books.google.com/books?id=whMTAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=James+Turney+Allen,+The+First+Year+of+Greek#v=onepage&q=&f=false
The author, J.T. Allen, was a teacher who really undersood ancient Greek as a living, spoken language.  The exercises and practice sentences he gives you are all from actual ancient Greek authors, so you can see how real Greek behaves — unlike the artificial and sometimes misleading sentences that Hanson gives you.  The book also has excellent paradigms for all the declensions, conjugations, etc.  On the whole, I think it would make learning Greek a lot more enjoyable for you.

If you can print yourself a copy, you can look through it lesson by lesson until you come to a lesson where most of the material is new to you.  We could start there, and we'd all be "on the same page" when we're talking about the grammar.  
« Last Edit: 04 Nov, 2009, 22:41:08 by billberg23 »

Search Tools