αἴτιός τοι τῆς τῶν Ἑλλήνων νίκης ὁ τῶν βαρβάρων ἡγεμών. οὑ γὰρ δὴ ἧκεν ἐν καιρῷ παρὰ τοὺς ἐν τῷ πεδίῳ καίπερ τὴν πόλιν λιπὼν ἅμα τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ὥστε ὁ στρατὸς σύμπας ἐξενικήθη. τοῦ δὲ στρατοῦ νικηθέντος, παύσατε τὸν πόλεμον.

jmorsay

αἴτιός τοι τῆς τῶν Ἑλλήνων νίκης ὁ τῶν βαρβάρων ἡγεμών. οὑ γὰρ δὴ ἧκεν ἐν καιρῷ παρὰ τοὺς ἐν τῷ πεδίῳ καίπερ τὴν πόλιν λιπὼν ἅμα τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ὥστε ὁ στρατὸς σύμπας ἐξενικήθη. τοῦ δὲ στρατοῦ νικηθέντος, παύσατε τὸν πόλεμον.

My translation:The leader of the foreign men is guilty because of the victory of the greeks. For of course he has not been welcomed beside the men in the plain ,who left the city during the day, so the whole army may be counquered in one spot. The army being conquerd, you stopped the war.

Is this correct?

vbd.

That one didn't go that well, JM.

Please check these words in your dictionary (again):

αἴτιος
ἥκω
καιρός (you should find "ἐν καιρῶ" --a standard phrase-- there)

And please rethink your translations of the words

λιπών (what person is it?)
ἐξενικήθη (what tense is it?)
παύσατε (what person and what mood is it?)

Get back to us with a revised translation.
At last, I have peace.

jmorsay

My new translation: The leader of the foreign men is responsible for the victory of the greeks. He was not preasent there to the men in the plain althrough lieving the during the day so the army altogether were surely being conquered. Before the soldiers are conquered, stop the war.

Is this better?

thank you

vbd.

Yes, it's much better!

ἥκω = arrive
ἐν καιρῶ = in time (or "at the right moment")
ἅμα τῇ ἡμέρᾳ = at the beginning of the day

He didn't arrive in time (at the right moment) despite leaving the city at the beginning of the day, with the result that the whole army suffered a defeat. Since the army has been defeated, stop the war.
At last, I have peace.

Search Tools