spiros · 4 · 1783

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
ὑπέρβατον/ ὑπερβατόν;

ὑπερβατόν - Ancient Greek (LSJ)
ὑπερβατός - Ancient Greek (LSJ)
hyperbaton - Ancient Greek (LSJ)

"Hyperbaton" is a word borrowed from the Greek hyperbaton (ὑπέρβατον), meaning "stepping over", which is derived from hyper ("over") and bainein ("to step"), with the -tos verbal adjective suffix. The idea is that to understand the phrase, the reader has to "step over" the words inserted in between.
Hyperbaton - Wikipedia
« Last Edit: 05 Apr, 2021, 15:48:05 by spiros »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Greek treats the noun (τὸ) ὑπερβατόν (grammatical term) as oxytone, with persistent accent on the ultima.  In the adjective ὑπερβατός, the accent follows the usual rule and reverts to the antepenult in compounds (ἀνυπέρβατος, εὐυπέρβατος).  Sometimes later ecclesiastical writers make the adjective ὑπερβατος proparoxytone, e.g. ἡ ὑπέρβατος ἡμέρα (Passover). The proper name Hyperbatus is always proparoxytone.  I see that a number of modern writers misplace the accent on the noun ὑπερβατόν, especially on the Misinformation Superhighway.

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
So the figure of speech (hyperbaton) is ὑπέρβατον or ὑπερβατόν? LSJ (even 1996 edition) lists the latter.

Lewis & Short have ὑπέρβατον, Gaffiot and Georges have ὑπερβατόν.
hyperbaton - Ancient Greek (LSJ)

hyperbaton Gram. and Rhet.
(haɪˈpɜːbətɒn)
Also 6 hiper-, -tone.
[a. L. hyperbaton, a. Gr. ὑπέρβατον, literally ‘overstepping’, f. ὑπερβαίνειν (ὑπέρ over + βαίνειν to step, walk).]

A figure of speech in which the customary or logical order of words or phrases is inverted, esp. for the sake of emphasis. Also, an example of this figure.
(The substantive is first recorded in Latin authors (Quintilian and Pliny); but Plato and Aristotle use the verbal adj. ὑπερβατός with reference to transpositions in language.)

1579 E. K. Gloss. Spenser's Sheph. Cal. May, A patheticall parenthesis, to encrease a carefull Hyperbaton.
1599 Thynne Animadv. (1875) 56 The sence‥ys ‘the fende makethe this’ for whiche Chaucer vsethe these wordes by Transpositione, (accordinge to the rethoricall figure Hiperbatone), ‘This makethe the fende’.
1641 Milton Animadv. v. (1851) 223 If your meaning be with a violent Hyperbaton to transpose the Text.
1727 H. Herbert tr. Fleury's Eccl. Hist. I. 62 There are so many‥hyperbatons and transpositions, which render his stile difficult.
1776 G. Campbell Philos. Rhet. (1801) II. 348 We have here a considerable hyperbaton‥there being no less than thirteen words interposed between the noun and the preposition.
1866 Bain Eng. Composit. 38 The Hyperbaton‥is purposed inversion‥before announcing something of great emphasis and import, thus giving to a meditated expression the effect of an impromptu.
Oxford English Dictionary
« Last Edit: 05 Apr, 2021, 15:48:25 by spiros »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I'll stand by the first sentence of my previous post;  as in LSJ, the figure of speech is ὑπερβατόν.  The evidence is overwhelmingly against Lewis & Short et al. The English word is pronounced "hy-per-baton," and that causes the error in Greek accentuation.
« Last Edit: 05 Apr, 2021, 19:40:49 by billberg23 »

Search Tools