Sonnet 126 (William Shakespeare) | Σονέτο 126 (Ουίλλιαμ Σαίξπηρ) [O thou, my lovely boy, who in thy power: Αγόρι μου ωραίο, που 'χεις εξουσία]

spiros · 1 · 1295

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Sonnet 126 (William Shakespeare) | Σονέτο 126 (Ουίλλιαμ Σαίξπηρ) [O thou, my lovely boy, who in thy power: Αγόρι μου ωραίο, που ’χεις εξουσία]

O thou, my lovely boy, who in thy power
Dost hold Time's fickle glass, his sickle, hour;
Who hast by waning grown, and therein showest
Thy lovers withering, as thy sweet self growest.
If Nature, sovereign mistress over wrack,
As thou goest onwards still will pluck thee back,
She keeps thee to this purpose, that her skill
May time disgrace and wretched minutes kill.
Yet fear her, O thou minion of her pleasure!
She may detain, but not still keep, her treasure:
Her audit (though delayed) answered must be,
And her quietus is to render thee.

Αγόρι μου ωραίο, που ’χεις εξουσία
στου χρόνου το γυαλί, την άστατη πορεία,
που μεγαλώνεις νεάζοντας και δείχνει η ακμή σου
τον μαρασμό του φίλου σου στην άνθηση σου,
η Φύση, της φθοράς ανώτατη κυρά,
όλο σε ξανανιώνει όσο ο καιρός περνά,
σκοπεύοντας τον χρόνο να τον πεισματώσει
και τις πανάθλιες στιγμές του να σκοτώσει.
Όμως φοβού την, ω γλυκό της χαϊδεμένο,
πισωκρατάει, μα όχι για πάντα τον αγαπημένο.
Λογαριασμό (κι αν με παράταση) θα δώσει,
κι η ανάπαψη της είναι να σε παραδώσει.

Μετάφραση: Βασίλης Ρώτας

Dante Gabriel Rosetti wrote in 1882 "There should be an essential reform in the printing of Shakespeare's sonnets. After sonnet CXXV should occur the words End of Part I. The couplet piece, numbered CXXVI, should be called Epilogue to Part I. Then, before CXXVII, should be printed Part II. After CLII should be put End of Part II - and the last two sonnets should be called Epilogue to Part II."

A Renaissance reader would perhaps be expected to discover these points by an attentive reading of the sonnets, and by knowing what to look for within the conventions of sonneteering. It is in fact generally agreed nowadays that this is a farewell sonnet, and that it brings to a close the main group of sonnets addressed to the fair youth. It does not follow the pattern of the other sonnets, being a series of six rhyming couplets, although it still gives the overall impression of being constructed in quatrains, and of having a concluding couplet. The reason for the bracketed blank lines in the original publication is not known, but some suggestions are discussed in the notes below.
http://www.shakespeares-sonnets.com/sonnet/126

« Last Edit: 05 Mar, 2020, 21:30:18 by spiros »

Search Tools