καὶ ὁ Ὅμηρος και ὁ Δημοσθένης γραφῆς ὑπὸ πάντων που τῑμώμενοι, ἀλλὰ ρήτωρ μὲν οὗτος, ἐκεῖνος δὲ ποιητής. τῑμᾱτω αὐτοὺς ὅ γε δῆμο

jmorsay

καὶ ὁ Ὅμηρος και ὁ Δημοσθένης  γραφῆς  ὑπὸ πάντων που τῑμώμενοι, ἀλλὰ ρήτωρ μὲν οὗτος, ἐκεῖνος δὲ ποιητής. τῑμᾱτω αὐτοὺς ὅ γε δῆμος.

my translation:Homer and Demosthenes who are honored by all men with indicments but this is the orator  and that is the poet. Let the people honor them for oneself.

How does γραφῆς work in the sentece?

Is this correct?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
JM, if the translation doesn't make any sense to you (like, how could someone be "honored with indictments"?), you gotta believe there's something seriously wrong with it.
How does γραφῆς work in the sentece?
Somewhere Hanson must have introduced this obscure early masculine plural nominative form to you (check the paradigm for declension of nouns like βασιλεύς).  This is the unusual nominative plural masculine of γραφεύς;  the usual form would be γραφεῖς.  Don't ask me why Hanson did this to you.  (-:

ὑπὸ πάντων που:  "by all, I suppose" or "perhaps by all."

"This is the author and that is the poet" would be ὁ μὲν συγγραφεὺς οὗτος, ἐκεῖνος δ' ὁ ποιητής.  Instead, we have here "This one (the latter) is an orator, and that one (the former) is a poet.

Notice that you have to "understand" (= pretend it's there) the verb "to be" three times in this sentence:  once after τῑμώμενοι, once after οὗτος, and once after ἐκεῖνος.

There's no "for oneself" in the last sentence.

Give it another try, Champ, and good luck!
« Last Edit: 16 Oct, 2009, 01:11:28 by billberg23 »

jmorsay

My translation: Homer and Demosthenes ,writers, who are honored by ,I suppose, all men, but this one is the orator and that one is the poet. Let the people honor them.

Is this correct?

thank you

billberg23

• Words ail me.
My translation: Homer and Demosthenes ,writers, who are honored by ,I suppose, all men, but this one is the orator and that one is the poet. Let the people honor them.
Much, much better!  However, you need to leave out the words I've quoted in bold bype.  The reason?  Let me quote from my previous message to you:
"This is the author and that is the poet" would be ὁ μὲν συγγραφεὺς οὗτος, ἐκεῖνος δ' ὁ ποιητής.  Instead, we have here "This one (the latter) is an orator, and that one (the former) is a poet.

Notice that you have to "understand" (= pretend it's there) the verb "to be" three times in this sentence:  once after τῑμώμενοι, once after οὗτος, and once after ἐκεῖνος.

Search Tools