Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257402

skaratso

Please can you help me? I want to make a tattoo in greek in honor of my late father. I want it to say something like - Always by my side or Always with me or Always on my mind or Always in my heart. Do you have any suggestions of what sounds best and how to write it in greek? Thank you in advance!

Here are a few suggestions:

Always by my side = Πάντα δίπλα μου (Literally "Always next to me")

Always with me = Πάντα μαζί μου

Always on my mind = Πάντα στις σκέψεις μου (Literally "Always in my thoughts")

Always in my heart = Πάντα στην καρδιά μου

vanja

• Semi-Newbie
i would love to get a tattoo in greek , ("dont die wondering" )if anyone can translate this in greek that would be greatly appriciated

billberg23

• Words ail me.
i would love to get a tattoo in greek , ("dont die wondering" )if anyone can translate this in greek that would be greatly appriciated
Here's an attempt in ancient Greek:

ΜΗΔ' ΑΠΟΘΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΠΟΡΩΝ
μηδ' ἀποθανεῖν ἀπορῶν

If you prefer modern Greek, stay tuned...
« Last Edit: 20 Mar, 2007, 06:11:35 by billberg23 »

wilkins5

• Semi-Newbie
Nickel,
I would like to get a tattoo from Book VI of the Iliad, but I do not know which English words correspond to the original Greek. If you have time, could you please let me know the correct lines in Ancient Greek? Thanks very much for your help:

"I claim to be his son, and he sent me to Troy with strict instructions: Ever to excel, to do better than others, and to bring glory to your forebears, who indeed were very great ... This is my ancestry; this is the blood I am proud to inherit."

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Nickel,
I would like to get a tattoo from Book VI of the Iliad, but I do not know which English words correspond to the original Greek. If you have time, could you please let me know the correct lines in Ancient Greek? Thanks very much for your help:

"I claim to be his son, and he sent me to Troy with strict instructions: Ever to excel, to do better than others, and to bring glory to your forebears, who indeed were very great ... This is my ancestry; this is the blood I am proud to inherit."

Iliad 6.206-11:

[Ἱππόλοχος δέ μ' ἔτικτε, καὶ] ἐκ τοῦ φημι γενέσθαι·
πέμπε δέ μ' ἐς Τροίην, καί μοι μάλα πόλλ' ἐπέτελλεν
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν καὶ ὑπείροχον ἔμμεναι ἄλλων,
μηδὲ γένος πατέρων αἰσχυνέμεν, οἳ μέγ' ἄριστοι
[ἔν τ' Ἐφύρῃ] ἐγένοντο [καὶ ἐν Λυκίῃ εὐρείῃ].       
ταύτης τοι γενεῆς τε καὶ αἵματος εὔχομαι εἶναι.

(I've bracketed the words your translation left out.)  Let us know if we can help further!
« Last Edit: 17 Mar, 2007, 07:34:43 by billberg23 »

yiannis

• Semi-Newbie
Hi!
Can you help me with the following:
Se exo panta stin kardia mou

I need it in greek letters and with the right spelling and `tonos` for a tattoo. Thank you and euxaristo!

billberg23

• Words ail me.

dbrasco444

• Semi-Newbie
can anyone translate the spartan word "andreia" into greek letters?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
can anyone translate the spartan word "andreia" into greek letters?
The Spartans were very much Greeks, dbrasco444, so ΑΝΔΡΕΙΑ (lower case: ἀνδρεῖα), "manliness, courage, bravery," is very much a Greek word, and not exclusively Spartan.

thinman

• Semi-Newbie
could someone translate this quote into modern greek for me
Death is the greatest of all human blessings ~ Socrates
thanks

banned8

I think you mean this:

οἶδε μὲν γὰρ οὐδεὶς τὸν θάνατον οὐδ' εἰ τυγχάνει τῷ ἀνθρώπῳ πάντων μέγιστον ὂν τῶν ἀγαθῶν

No one knows whether death may not be the greatest of all blessings for a man.

Apology of Socrates (by Plato) 29.a.6

animosity

• Semi-Newbie
I haven't seen the film, so I don't know what they were supposed to have said there.  In real life, gladiatorial shows were mostly an Italian taste, so the gladiators spoke Latin, not Greek.  Usually they saluted whoever presided over the games (often the emperor himself), pronouncing the formula Morituri te salutamus ("We who are about to die salute you").
Be that as it may, the ancient Greek for "strength and honor" would be ΔΥΝΑΜΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΜΗ (lower case δύναμις καὶ τιμή).

Hi i was doing some research and i found another translation for "strength and honor" it shows "ΔΥΝΑΜΗ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΜΗ" I assume its incorrect? your expertise would be fantastic. thank you for your time

banned8

This slightly different translation is just the modern Greek version. It's only the ending that has changed.

animosity

• Semi-Newbie
This slightly different translation is just the modern Greek version. It's only the ending that has changed.

Thank you so much!

Search Tools