To χάρις ὑμῖν οὕτω τίθησιν κτλ. → Thus he writes "joy to you all," etc. (Cramer's Catena on 1 Thessalonians 1.1)

JOhn Litteral

• Semi-Newbie
Can someone translate this for me?  It concerns 1 Thessalonians 1:1.  It comes from Cramer's Catena and the entire section is attributed to Chrysostom, but this first line looks to be tweaked by the compiler of the catena.

To χάρις ὑμῖν οὕτω τίθησιν, ὥσπερ ἡμεῖς τὸ χαίρειν ἐν ταῖς ἐπιγραφαῖς τῶν ἐπιστολῶν εἰώθαμεν. τὸ δὲ "ἐν Θεῷ Πάτρι" ὡς καὶ ἡμεῖς ἐν Κυρίῳ γράφομεν·
« Last Edit: 28 Jun, 2014, 19:54:51 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"He thus writes 'joy to you all,' just as we usually put 'rejoice' at the head of letters.  The 'in God the Father' is as we ourselves write 'in the Lord.' "
I notice that Cramer's Catena attributes the section immediately preceding this one to {(Χρυσοστόμου.)}, while this section is attributed simply to {Ἰωάννου.}.  Could this latter "John" be different from Chrysostom — e.g., John of Damascus?
By the way, John, we commented on your previous post as a passage that you had already translated.  Here, however, you request a fresh translation, which, according to the Rules (click at top of page), should be limited to 12 words.  Please note this for future reference.  And welcome to the Forum!   
« Last Edit: 28 Jun, 2014, 19:51:15 by billberg23 »

JOhn Litteral

• Semi-Newbie
I found the whole section in Chrysostom with the exception of the first line.  Though, John of Damascus did draw a lot from Chrysostom.  Sorry for breaking the rules, I will watch more closely.

Search Tools