never give up → μήποτ' ἀναχώρησον, μήποτ' ἀναχώρασον

daniel2003

• Semi-Newbie
Can someone please help me translate the phrase "never give up" into Doric Greek? Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: 12 Oct, 2012, 13:15:46 by spiros »

daniel2003

• Semi-Newbie
Thank you for the quick response Bill! Is that a literal translation or does it mean something similar that was a more common way of expressing the general thought?
Also I really like the Lithos Pro font, which is non-polytonic, and I don't see a T' in it?
« Last Edit: 20 Aug, 2009, 16:37:30 by daniel2003 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Literally, it means "Never retreat" or "never surrender."  You're right, the apostrophe (signifying loss of E in pronunciation) wouldn't look good with Lithos.  Better just spell out ΜΗΠΟΤE.

daniel2003

• Semi-Newbie
Thank you once again! Last question: Is the language the ancient Spartans would have used?
I relate this phrase to many things I do in life, such as school, work, and fitness, and am thinking about getting a tattoo of it.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug, 2009, 19:17:59 by daniel2003 »

vbd.

Yes, Daniel. This is written in the Doric dialect. And I think it works as a general statement like that. It just means "never back down". The rest depends on the context.
At last, I have peace.

greekentourage

• Semi-Newbie
How do you say "never give up" in ancient greek?

I've tried finding a translator online, but all i find is english to modern greek. I typed it out on google and "Μήποτε ὕπεικε" came up, but it only came up once, so i'm not sure if that is right. Also if it is right, how would it be written in capitals? Because I always thought they wrote in capital letters in ancient greek.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 14 Aug, 2012, 10:31:14 by wings »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Upper case would be ΜΗΠΟΤΕ ΑΝΑΧΩΡΗΣΟΝ for most of ancient Greece;  in Doric (the dialect of the Spartans) it would be ΜΗΠΟΤΕ ΑΝΑΧΩΡΑΣΟΝ.
Yes, Google (like all the other on-line translators) can only deliver modern Greek.

Soy.thecowboy

• Semi-Newbie
Hi there bill. I'm Soy from Texas. One of my pal has tattooed himself with μήποτ' άναχώρει (anachôrei) as never give up. Does that make any sense?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Hi there bill. I'm Soy from Texas. One of my pal has tattooed himself with μήποτ' άναχώρει (anachôrei) as never give up. Does that make any sense?
Texas?  Are you sure you're not the famous cowboy from Bangkok (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOkb5pkmVM)?
Your pal is O.K., Soy.  His tattoo just uses the progressive form of the imperative, so it means "Never be giving up" instead of "Never give up."

Soy.thecowboy

• Semi-Newbie
Holy bang. First of all (and most importantly) I ain't that fella who looks like world war II shortheaded japanese troop who calls himself a Cowboy :-D :-D
I'm not him at all and never wanna be like him. (just kidding though. He's great at his place)

let's talk about the tattoo i'm gonna have. If you were at my place, which of following would you have tattooed if you want to say "NEVER GIVE UP" OR NEVER BACK DOWN" to yourself?

μήποτ' άναχώρησον

μήποτε άναχώρει

μήποτε ύπεικε.

And i really like this
μήποτε άναχώρει. Can i go for it?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
There are no real problems with the Greek in any of those options, Soy, so I think you should go for what you really like.  Tattoos are definitely not my thing, so I'd personally have trouble working up enough enthusiasm to make a choice.
As for eliding the "ε" of μήποτε, the Greeks would certainly have dropped it in speaking, but just as certainly would have included it in writing, so that one's up to you, too ...

Soy.thecowboy

• Semi-Newbie
That's it. Thanx a million Mr.Billberg. So my final choice is μήποτε άναχώρει.
You were really helpful. Best regards! .... (and yey, i liked that video huh. SOI-COWBOY..)

Search Tools