τὸ θέλημά σου τὸ ἀγαθὸν καὶ τέλειον, πάτερ → your good and perfect will, Father

micheldf

• Semi-Newbie
Can you please help me with my tattoo's idea?
θέλημά σου τέλειον ἀγαθὸν εὐδοκίαν , πάτερ γενηθήτω

those are the words i'd like to get tattooed...i am not sure if i should tattoo the verb as well, but i added it here hoping that it can help you...i think the words are in the correct case, but what is the right combination? the meanings should be: your good pleasure, good, perfet will be dona, father...

thank you!
« Last Edit: 07 Oct, 2011, 15:59:29 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
The first part is reminiscent of Romans 12:2 (τὸ θέλημα τοῦ Θεοῦ τὸ ἀγαθὸν καὶ εὐάρεστον καὶ τέλειον), and the last part seems to echo the Lord's Prayer in Matthew 6:10 (γενηθήτω τὸ θέλημά σου).  So do you want to say "Let your good and perfect will be done, father"?  That would be γενηθήτω τὸ θέλημά σου τὸ ἀγαθὸν καὶ τέλειον, πάτερ.  However, the word εὐδοκίαν ("benevolence" in the unsupported accusative case) makes no sense in that context.   

micheldf

• Semi-Newbie
thank you!

benevolence comes from ephesians 1 κατὰ τὴν εὐδοκίαν τοῦ θελήματος αὐτοῦ..do you think i should avoid that?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
If you meant to say "in accordance with your benevolence," you can easily add that at the end:
γενηθήτω τὸ θέλημά σου τὸ ἀγαθὸν καὶ τέλειον, πάτερ, κατὰ τὴν εὐδοκίαν σου.

micheldf

• Semi-Newbie

micheldf

• Semi-Newbie

billberg23

• Words ail me.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
i guess you have studied greek, right?
Only for 50 years or so.  And the Bible.  Which reminds me to post our standard disclaimer:
This tattoo will violate the injunction at Leviticus 19:28, which lists tattooing among the abominations.  Management will not be responsible for the consequences.

micheldf

• Semi-Newbie
wow, that's quite a long  time :)

so i guess you are against tattoos...i can see that, even tho i don't think that verse suits..Jesus has come to save and set free everyone who believes he is the Song of God..and he also set us free from the law...that's why i can eat whatever i prefer (1 chorintias 8)..don't you think?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Have another look at Matthew 5:17-19.  And I doubt that even Paul would gainsay the infinite wisdom of the Bible, especially when it comes to mutilating one's God-given body in order to tout a belief system.

micheldf

• Semi-Newbie
i don t know the exact words..maybe is pact..i think we have a new pact through Jesus..so we don t have to follow all aspects of the law..we don't have to sacrifice animals, we can just pray God for forgivness...don't you agree?

if i cut the verb, do i still have to write τὸ  at the beginning?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
i don t know the exact words..maybe is pact..i think we have a new pact through Jesus..so we don t have to follow all aspects of the law..we don't have to sacrifice animals, we can just pray God for forgivness...don't you agree?
I suppose it all depends on whose belief system you're following.  I try not to follow anyone's.  I just know that there's a lot of wisdom in the Bible, and that "not pricking letters on your flesh" (Lev. 19:28) makes a lot of sense to me.
if i cut the verb, do i still have to write τὸ  at the beginning?
Yes.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep, 2011, 22:06:17 by billberg23 »

micheldf

• Semi-Newbie
i try to follow what the Bible say..but of course it s impossible because we, as human beings, are easy to influence..but still i try my best to understand what the Bible really means, which sometimes it's not just what is written..

anyway..thank you for the help!

Search Tools