Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1152037

bw_tps

• Semi-Newbie
Hello.  I really want something different for my "tattoo."  It's a bit cliche but nobody I know has one of this genre--which is nice.  

If anybody would be so kind, to help me with translating:

Determined
Perseverance
Driven
WillFull

All if possilbe, all in capital letters, too?

Thanks.

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Could someone please help me with "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." Would it even make sense to get it in all upper case? If so could someone show me that too? i just can't help but to laugh thinking you guys are all tricking me into getting some vulgarity permanently etched into my skin.

Your question has already been answered at: https://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=6666.msg46086#msg46086

Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Determined
Perseverance
Driven
WillFull
Determined = ΑΥΘΑΔΗΣ
Perseverance = ΚΑΡΤΕΡΙΑ.  "Persevering" is ΚΑΡΤΕΡΟΣ masculine,  ΚΑΡΤΕΡΑ feminine.
Driven = ΠΡΟΘΥΜΟΣ
Wilful = ΥΠΕΡΦΡΩΝ

islantis

• Semi-Newbie
ΩΚΕΑΝΟΙ  is already plural, as you requested.
Black:  ΜΕΛΑΣ is masculine singular;  get back to us if you need another gender or number.
Given to fly:  If you mean "tending to fly (as a bird flies)," it's  ΜΕΛΛΩΝ ΠΤΗΝΑΙ (masculine singular).  Again, other genders or plural would require changes.

Yes I am female so I would need that gender :)

Thank you so much for your help!

billberg23

• Words ail me.

islantis

• Semi-Newbie
So black = ΜΕΛΑΙΝΑ
and given to fly = ΜΕΛΛΟΥΣΑ ΠΤΗΝΑΙ

Thank you so much! :)

Sorry I'm being so annoying, lol.
One last request, could you also translate "Love" and "Trust" in ancient greek for me, uppercase and lowercase?

I promise thats the last thing I ask for, i had many ideas! Thankyou! :)

billberg23

• Words ail me.
One last request, could you also translate "Love" and "Trust" in ancient greek for me, uppercase and lowercase?
Love = ΑΓΑΠΗ, ἀγάπη
Trust = ΠΙΣΤΙΣ, πίστις

RainmakerPKP

• Semi-Newbie
i am thinking about getting a tattoo in ancient greek. i am also thinking about getting it in modern greek. the phrase i am getting tattood is:

LIVE EVER
DIE NEVER

the context is live ever, as in to live long, eternally forever, and to die never, to never give up. they are almost the same phrase, but diffrent, so it might be hard to translate. if someone could translate this in ancient and modern green in capitals it would be VERY much appreciated :)

Denny

• Semi-Newbie
I also am looking to get a tattoo and found this in one of the replies:  "Not Simply to Live...But to Live Well" (οὐ τὸ ζῆν...αλλὰ τὸ εὖ ζῆν).  I would like to know how to translate my name Dennis into ancient Greek.  I'm not sure if that's possible or if I use Dionysus, assuming that Dennis is a derivative of that.

Thank You.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
i am thinking about getting a tattoo in ancient greek. i am also thinking about getting it in modern greek. the phrase i am getting tattood is:

LIVE EVER
DIE NEVER

the context is live ever, as in to live long, eternally forever, and to die never, to never give up. they are almost the same phrase, but diffrent, so it might be hard to translate. if someone could translate this in ancient and modern green in capitals it would be VERY much appreciated :)

Modern Greek might be something like ΠΑΝΤΟΤΕ ΝΑ ΖΗΣΕΙΣ and  ΠΟΤΕ ΝΑ ΜΗΝ ΠΕΘΑΝΕΙΣ, but let's wait for the true hellenophones to render it accurately.

Hellenophone's addition: ΝΑ ΖΕΙΣ ΑΙΩΝΙΑ for the first one. Slightly better and in line with the ancient rendering.

In any case, ancient Greek is ΕΙΣ ΑΙΩΝΑ ΖΗΝ and ΜΗΠΟΤΕ ΑΠΟΘΑΝΕΙΝ.
« Last Edit: 03 Jan, 2007, 20:36:05 by nickel »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I also am looking to get a tattoo and found this in one of the replies:  "Not Simply to Live...But to Live Well" (οὐ τὸ ζῆν...αλλὰ τὸ εὖ ζῆν).  I would like to know how to translate my name Dennis into ancient Greek.  I'm not sure if that's possible or if I use Dionysus, assuming that Dennis is a derivative of that.

Thank You.
"Dennis" is actually derived from French "Denys," which in turn is derived from Latin "Dionysius," which in turn is derived from Greek ΔΙΟΝΥΣΙΟΣ (Διονύσιος), which means "gift of the god Dionysus."  So the pagan parents of St. Dionysius (after whom you are named), in naming him, must have attributed his conception and/or birth to the influence of the god of wine and ecstatic spirituality.

Denny

• Semi-Newbie
That's great!  Thank you for the very quick reply.  Is the translation you used ancient Greek and is that the same as the quote I included?  Do you or anyone else in the forum post a font that I could use for a tattoo for both the quote and my name?

banned8

For RainmakerPKP.
« Last Edit: 03 Jan, 2007, 21:53:53 by nickel »

Denny

• Semi-Newbie
Nickel,

Thank you for the reply but I think 2 messages were mixed.  I was looking for the translation and font (lower & upper case) for:

Not simply to live...but to live well

and

Dionysius

banned8

A bit of confusion is inevitable...

Search Tools