Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257054

oblivia

sorry i want to get a tattoo of this

Να έχεις πάθος για ό,τι κάνεις.

Να παθιάζεσαι με ό,τι κάνεις.

do they both mean the same thing? or do u need both to make the sentence?

Hi.the first sentence means ALMOSt the same with the second one.
The first emphasises on the passion one must have in whatever he does,before he starts doing it.
The second actually says that nomatter what you do,have passion with it(while doing it).
The differance is small but i thought you should better know the EXACT meaning of these two phrases in greek.
cheers and tattoos rule!!!!!!!!

oblivia

I saw earlier a translation for "I live, I love, I laugh"

It was Ζω Αγαπώ Γελώ.

I was wondering if it would be possible for anyone to show me this in different fonts and also capitalized or all lower case, just different variations really.

Thanks in advance for your help, this forum is alot of help!

As for capitals so it is: ΖΩ,ΑΓΑΠΩ,ΓΕΛΩ.
Now,for different varations,could you please be more specific? for example,give us sentences,the meaning you want for the words.you see,in greek words can be extremelly specific as for what you want to express.

its different to say i live,than i am alive or vivid. and its i love yoy but other thing when we say i am in love with you,other whten you want to say i am happy,another for i smile,an other for bliss etc etc.

jjoosshh

• Semi-Newbie
Well, I was actually more interested in the laugh portion of it.

"I Laugh" is there... so, what would laughter, the noun be?

A couple different fonts in lowercase would be awesome too.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: 16 Oct, 2007, 02:58:21 by jjoosshh »

Euterpe

It would also be great if someone could confirm if it is modern/ancient Greek. I seem to remember that Αγαπώ is used in modern Greek in expressions such as "I love you", but it had a slight different meaning in ancient Greek. I might be wrong though. Thanks.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
It would also be great if someone could confirm if it is modern/ancient Greek. I seem to remember that Αγαπώ is used in modern Greek in expressions such as "I love you", but it had a slight different meaning in ancient Greek. I might be wrong though. Thanks.
Ζῶ, ἀγαπῶ, and γελῶ are all good ancient Greek, Euterpe, and mean the same things today — I live, I love, I laugh. 
« Last Edit: 16 Oct, 2007, 07:20:31 by billberg23 »

jolu42

• Semi-Newbie
I had a question regarding a translation from English to Ancient Greek. I wanted to get this Kid Icarus tattoo (Kid Icarus is an old-school NES game from the '80s) with the words "Kid Icarus" in Ancient Greek characters. There is probably not a proper translation for this, but any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
the words "Kid Icarus" in Ancient Greek characters
ΙΚΑΡΙΣΚΟΣ  (Ἰκαρίσκος)
=  "Little Icarus."
« Last Edit: 18 Oct, 2007, 02:17:17 by billberg23 »

jolu42

• Semi-Newbie
ΙΚΑΡΙΣΚΟΣ  (Ἰκαρίσκος)
=  "Little Icarus."

Thank you, my genius friend! You're awesome. I really appreciate the info.

Mengsk

• Semi-Newbie
how about "Where Is My Guardian Angel?" would anyone help me translate on it? both modern and ancient greek phrase, thx

billberg23

• Words ail me.
how about "Where Is My Guardian Angel?" would anyone help me translate on it? both modern and ancient greek phrase, thx
Modern:  Πού είναι ο φύλακας άγγελός μου;

Ancient:  Ποῦ ἐστὶ τὸ δαιμόνιόν μου;

P.S.  Thanks, nickel! 
« Last Edit: 18 Oct, 2007, 19:10:25 by billberg23 »

chocolate.chip.cookies

• Semi-Newbie
i would really like this in ancient greek as me (female) and my 2 brothers where thinking of having it inked.
ta
em

billberg23

• Words ail me.
i would really like this in ancient greek as me (female) and my 2 brothers where thinking of having it inked.
ΔΕΣΜΟΣ ΟΥΔΕΠΟΤΕ ΡΗΚΤΟΣ
(δεσμὸς οὐδέποτε ῥηκτός)

banned8

Wouldn't you also use

δεσμὸς ἄρρηκτος

as in the Iliad:

κόπτε δὲ δεσμοὺς ἀρρήκτους ἀλύτους

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Wouldn't you also use

δεσμὸς ἄρρηκτος
That's exactly what I wanted to use originally;  but it seemed necessary to work in the thought of "never."  So I changed it to δεσμὸς οὐδέποτε ῥηκτός.

chocolate.chip.cookies

• Semi-Newbie
That's exactly what I wanted to use originally;  but it seemed necessary to work in the thought of "never."  So I changed it to δεσμὸς οὐδέποτε ῥηκτός.

so the 'δεσμὸς οὐδέποτε ῥηκτός' is the best translation as it stresses on the 'never'?
is there any chance anyone could put it into other types of fonts?

thank you all so very very much
em
x

Search Tools