δέξηται, δέχονται, ύπεδέξατο, προσδέχεται → should receive, receive, received, receives

Bible Reader

• Semi-Newbie
I would like to know if these are the same word in different tenses and persons, or if there is some real difference in the words. I have a Greek interlinear New Testament (and that is all I know of Greek!). These words are translated in similar ways into English in the Gospel of Luke.  (Luke 18:17, 8:13, 10:38, and 15:2).

I apologize if this question is competely inappropriate in this forum. I know nothing about Greek grammar and hope some kind expert will explain the distinctions between these words.

Thank you!

Bible Reader

« Last Edit: 21 Oct, 2006, 20:56:21 by Bible Reader »

banned8

Hi, Bible Reader.

What you have here is the verb δέχομαι = accept, plus two of its compound forms:
υποδέχομαι (i.e. with the prepositional prefix 'hupo', 'hypo' in English) = receive into one's house and
προσδέχομαι (i.e. with the prepositional prefix 'pros') = receive favourably or hospitably.

Now in Luke:
18:17: ὃς ἐὰν μὴ δέξηται (subjunctive) = he who should not receive (the Kingdom of God)
8:13: μετὰ χαρᾶς δέχονται τὸν λόγον (present, plural form) = accept/receive the word with joy
10:38: ὑπεδέξατο αὐτόν (simple past) = received, admitted him under her roof
15:2: ἁμαρτωλοὺς προσδέχεται (present, singular form) = receives sinners

υποδέχομαι is still in use with the aforementioned meaning, but it has also supplanted προσδέχομαι, which is now rarely used with the meaning of 'accept in addition'.

Bible Reader

• Semi-Newbie

Thank you so much, nickel! Your explanation is very helpful (and shows no evidence of the eye-rolling that my question must have occasioned!).

I appreciate your taking the time to look up each usage.

Bible Reader (maybe one day in the original language!)

Search Tools