Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1256991

VanWilder

• Semi-Newbie
Yes, that's got it.
The Greek alphabet (upper case) was pretty much standardized in the Alexandrian period (3rd cent. BC) and remains the same today.  The lower case developed gradually over time from cursive script, and wasn't standardized until the middle ages.  The ς (final sigma) is Σ in upper case; the ξ (xi) is Ξ in upper case.

Ok thanks, I got it. And then the Leonidas quote would be "MΟΛΩN ΛABE" with his name being spelled "ΛEΩNIΔAΣ" right? (Got off wikipedia then converted to caps). I just can't decide between the two. Alexander's is an overtly inspirational quote from the words alone, but Leonidas' quote is inspirational from the circumstances in which he said it and what it stands for... Maybe I'll get both, one on each wrist haha.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Ok thanks, I got it. And then the Leonidas quote would be "MΟΛΩN ΛABE" with his name being spelled "ΛEΩNIΔAΣ" right? (Got off wikipedia then converted to caps). I just can't decide between the two. Alexander's is an overtly inspirational quote from the words alone, but Leonidas' quote is inspirational from the circumstances in which he said it and what it stands for... Maybe I'll get both, one on each wrist haha.
Works for me!

hmwayte

• Semi-Newbie
Hello there (= I'm a new student of the classics and have discovered a passion for ancient Greek despite only having studied it for a year so far. I've decided I'd like my first tattoo to be in the language and, after viewing each and every post in this forum (not an easy task but definitely an interesting one!), I've decided upon 'Live and Learn'. I've read your reasoning for using ΓΗΡΑΣΚΩ ΑΕΙ ΔΙΔΑΣΚΟΜΕΝΟΣ but was wondering whether it would be better to change ΔΙΔΑΣΚΟΜΕΝΟΣ to ΔΙΔΑΣΚΟΜΕΝH given that I'm female. Would that be necessary/correct? Also, I realise that script was all in upper case so would it be pretty unfaithful to use lowercase letters or is it not too big of a problem?

banned8

Γηράσκω ἀεὶ διδασκομένη.

Beautiful!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I've decided upon 'Live and Learn'. I've read your reasoning for using ΓΗΡΑΣΚΩ ΑΕΙ ΔΙΔΑΣΚΟΜΕΝΟΣ but was wondering whether it would be better to change ΔΙΔΑΣΚΟΜΕΝΟΣ to ΔΙΔΑΣΚΟΜΕΝH given that I'm female. Would that be necessary/correct?
Not necessary, but hardly incorrect!  I would probably use the feminine form if I were you.  Those aren't Solon's exact words, so it doesn't matter if you use upper case or lower case (a distinction he never knew).  What Solon actually said was
Γηράσκω δ' αἰεὶ πολλά διδασκόμενος (fr. 22.7 Diehl).  Αnd even there, you can use the feminine form without spoiling the elegiac meter;  just shift the acute accent forward.
Delighted to hear you love Greek!  Come back to us any time if you need help.
Oops, I see nickel was already here.  And I agree with him — it sounds beautiful!
« Last Edit: 12 Mar, 2007, 01:29:29 by billberg23 »

hmwayte

• Semi-Newbie
Not necessary, but hardly incorrect!  I would probably use the feminine form if I were you.  Those aren't Solon's exact words, so it doesn't matter if you use upper case or lower case (a distinction he never knew).  What Solon actually said was
Γηράσκω δ' αἰεὶ πολλά διδασκόμενος (fr. 22.7 Diehl).  Αnd even there, you can use the feminine form without spoiling the elegiac meter;  just shift the acute accent forward.
Delighted to hear you love Greek!  Come back to us any time if you need help.
Oops, I see nickel was already here.  And I agree with him — it sounds beautiful!

I'll definitely opt for the feminine version and probably lowercase too. I'm getting the tattoo done next month and I'll be sure to post a photo of it here when it's done. Thanks ever so much for your help (=

Bedhead

• Semi-Newbie
I was thinking about getting a tattoo in ancient Greek , My sister has recently got   Γνῶθι σεαυτόν  "Know yourself" on her wrist and I like the tattoo the meaning and the style and theres much more about it that I like but I was wondering if someone could translate a couple things for me please.  "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”  and   "Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth". Your time and effort on this is very much appreciated.Thank you.

Kody

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth"
Δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω
Upper case:  ΔΩΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ
(Αrchimedes)
« Last Edit: 27 Dec, 2009, 16:37:56 by billberg23 »

banned8

Excellent, Bill. If you now find the Chinese ideograms for the Confucius saying, you'll have done a complete job :-}

Come on, Bedhead/Kody. Why are you asking for a saying by Confucius to be translated into ancient Greek? Won't it look so much better if they gave you the Mandarin or whatever for that on a Chinese forum?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Excellent, Bill. If you now find the Chinese ideograms for the Confucius saying, you'll have done a complete job :-}
Confucius?  You mean I can stop ransacking Thucydides?

banned8

Confucius?  You mean I can stop ransacking Thucydides?

Well, the web seems to think it is by Confucius.

cayla

• Semi-Newbie
i come from a greek / lebanese family & my sister and i wanted to get a tattoo of something meaninful.  i once heard of a greek...umm..i guess you could call it a way of life? philosophy?..im not sure but it was "LOVE AND DEATH" →>the two things we live to do is to love and to die.. im not sure if my source was credible or if this even makes sense in respect to greek philosophy....but i would love to have it translated & if possible..explained.. i really do appreciate the help..
« Last Edit: 18 Mar, 2007, 13:03:49 by wings »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
You've opened the broadest possible topic, Cayla, and we can only begin to approach it here.  Usually the two (ΕΡΩΣ, love/desire and ΘΑΝΑΤΟΣ, death) are juxtaposed as opposites.  For early Greek philosophers, eros was often conceived as the creative life force, the origin of all things, even of all gods.  For Aristotle, eros as "appetite" was the source of all movement in the universe.  For Freud, it was the force that sustained life as well as the health of the mind.
Thanatos promotes the opposite:  it is the negation of eros and of life itself.  Freud spoke of the Todestrieb, the "death drive" or "death instinct" that is responsible for neurosis, psychosis, and all self-destructive, life-negating behavior.  For a fascinating introductory read on all this, try Norman O. Brown's Life against Death, a psychoanalytical account of the interaction of eros and thanatos throughout history.  And watch this thread for further developments!
« Last Edit: 12 Mar, 2007, 22:19:01 by billberg23 »

Connaki

• Semi-Newbie
What about Alexander the Great's quote: "Nothing is impossible to him who will try.."?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
What about Alexander the Great's quote: "Nothing is impossible to him who will try.."?
See, most recently, reply #698 (above).

Search Tools