πανταχοῦ ἄνευ *ωροσθαφαςεγσεως*

festugiere

• Semi-Newbie
Hi,

I am doing some research on a piece of renaissance artwork and I'm trying to understand an inscription written (somewhat unclearly) in the corner of the canvas.  It reads:

"πάνταχου ανευ ωροσθαφαςεγσεως"

I have no knowledge of Greek, but an online translator tells me the first two words mean "everywhere without..."  However I cannot for the life of me find any clue as to what the third and final word means.  Does this mean anything to anyone reading this?  (note: the first two letters of the last word -- ωρ -- are pretty smudged, and I may have them wrong... )

Appreciatively,

Fest U.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar, 2010, 07:52:20 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Could you describe the art work, with some indication of date and provenance?  It might help. Of course, a photo would be ideal, if you can manage it.
From what you describe, it looks like the inscription might read πανταχοῦ ἄνευ προσθαφαιρέσεως, "everywhere without adding or subtracting" — which doesn't make an awful lot of sense.

BTW, we've changed your title to conform to what's written in red on the first page of this English → Ancient Greek forum.  Αnd we're moving your topic to its proper place (Ancient Greek → English).
« Last Edit: 10 Mar, 2010, 15:50:50 by billberg23 »

Search Tools