loin des yeux, loin du cœur –> μάτια που δεν βλέπονται, γρήγορα λησμονιούνται | μάτια που δεν βλέπονται γρήγορα ξεχνιούνται

ruadisneyfan

Μάτια που δεν βλέπονται, γρήγορα λησμονιούνται. (Out of sight, out of mind.)

Translit: 'Matia pou den 'vleponde, 'grigora lizmo'niounde.

Moderator's note: Sorry, I wrote my answer as part of the asker's message.
« Last Edit: 22 Dec, 2011, 11:06:15 by spiros »

banned8

Sorry, I just gave the English equivalent (wondering why you hadn't given that as your translation question).

The French does mean: Far from the eyes, far from the heart.

The Greek means: Eyes not seen are soon forgotten.

ruadisneyfan

Did not give it as the translation question, because it wasn't my question! Until, I saw what you wrote...out of sight, out of mind. Your translation threw me. I did not know that when it got translated into Greek the meaning, as I knew it would change. Thanks for the explanation....sorry for the confusion.

dinomachi

• The word is not enough...
On a philosophical note...

Each culture, each language emphasizes different aspects of this thing called love.
The French are interested in the heart, rather than the mind which is the apex in the English (and english-speaking peoples') culture.

Our own culture states the obvious: when you've captured the other person's memories, you can't go wrong. Or, can you?

Relatioships... Tough!

Δ.Δ.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Relationships ... ambiguous!  As for English culture, behold the two adages:  "Out of sight, out of mind," vs. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder."  Can anyone explain their coexistence in the same tradition?

dinomachi

• The word is not enough...
So they establish a link between the "eyes" and the "mind".
The people we don't see anymore, we rarely -if ever!- think about.
On the other hand, a person's "absence" from one's life makes his/her heart long for her/him.
Two completely separate "centers".
Mind vs heart...
That's odd... or is it?

Δ.Δ.

Search Tools