Automatic replacement and case conversion from sub-segments of the translation memory in DVX

spiros · 13 · 6732

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Let us assume that I have these two translation units:

laser printer
εκτυπωτής λέιζερ

Turn on your laser printer
Turn on your laser printer

Is there a setting so that in the second one the term laser printer will be automatically replaced [assembled] with the translation as derived from the previous translation unit like this:

Turn on your εκτυπωτής λέιζερ

I know that this would happen if the term was entered in the terminology database, but will it still occur if it is just entered in the translation memory?

This is something that can be done with MetaTexis (the setting is called Use TM as TDB). Also, MetaTexis will observe and amend accordingly the case when performing the assemble function.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar, 2008, 23:40:33 by spiros »

Alex1200GS

Of course, that's the very purpose of the assembly feature. DV scans all its three TM levels (TM, terminology and lexicon), and assembles a translation prioritising terms that come from lexicon, then terminology database and finally the TM. This means that if your client has provided a glossary you are supposed to adhere to, you can import it into the lexicon and it will take way against all other terms you may have stored in other connected databases.

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
The problem is that I just tested it and it would not work that way with 7.0.297 [...]
I updated to latest build and tried again and indeed it worked (I guess due to the Improvements in assemble feature). 

The problem is that whilst teaching DVX at the class, I had automatic replacement, whereas the students did not and I suspect that I was using a PC with the latest version, whereas the students were using a PC with an earlier version.

However, if the second TU was:

Turn on your Laser Printer

or

Turn on your LASER PRINTER

The assemble function would not adapt to the case difference.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar, 2008, 02:04:38 by spiros »

Alex1200GS

The assemble function would not adapt to the case difference.

This is a clear case of wrong settings. The assemble feature and almost everything in DVX works according to the user settings. Two installations with completely different settings behave in a completely different manner.

The optimal settings we recommend can be found here, and in your shoes, I would apply them to all PC's.

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour

Alex1200GS

In that case, check the entry directly in the terminology database. If  "Laser Printer" has been translated in the database as "εκτυπωτής λέιζερ", then DVX believes that this is the correct case to be used.

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
No entry was made in the terminology database. The entry comes from the translation memory database. Therefore, I must conclude that there is no case conversion for terms in translation memory database and possibly also from terminology database / lexicon?

If the above is true, the question that arises is which cases are affected by the setting Allow case conversions?
« Last Edit: 17 Mar, 2008, 00:19:07 by spiros »

Alex1200GS

No entry was made in the terminology database. The entry comes from the translation memory database.

Bonkers!
Pardon my gaff Spiros; I meant "translation memory" database. The case conversion algorithm applies equally to all database levels anyway.

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Thank you, the problem is that it did not apply the conversion in my example. And I just found these (does it refer to an unreleased patch?):

Using an old message as an example, 7.5.302 patch 11 now
autopropagates the following examples correctly:

(with "Allow case conversions" turned on)
abc → xyz
Abc → Xyz
ABC → XYZ
abc → xyz
Abc → Xyz
ABC → ABC

(with "Allow case conversions" turned off)
TEUR 23,3 → 23.3 thousand EUR
TEUR 45,6 → 45.6 thousand EUR
TEUR 57,3 → 57.3 thousand EUR
TEUR 33,2 → 33.2 thousand EUR

with "Allow case conversion" turned on:
TEUR 45,6 → 45.6 THOUSAND EUR
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/message/87435

I find that this setting ("Allow case conversions") works, but with two important notes:

- it does not work/apply to lexicon entries (that is when the term to be managed comes from lexicon!)

- it does not work if the TDB entry has different capitalization for source and target. For example, if in a rush you enter "House" = "casa" and the setting "Allow case conversions" is on, the translation of "House" in first position will be "casa", because the program assumes the difference is intentional. Instead, if you enter "house" = "casa" in the TDB and have that setting on, "House" in first position will be translated as "Casa".
http://www.proz.com/topic/56318
« Last Edit: 17 Mar, 2008, 00:39:03 by spiros »

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Yes, I opened the TM and the entry in the TM was:

laser printer - εκτυπωτής λέιζερ

Is this what you mean? I even deleted all TM entries and tried again. Same results.

Alex1200GS

It seems that you have discovered an issue here. Indeed, case conversion works differently when the term or portion comes from the TM.
This has been reported to Atril and will be fixed in the next build. Thanks for your sharp eyesight and for reporting it!
If you wish to be updated with new releases and other DV-related info, please consider signing up for the DV newsletter here (in Greek only).

Search Tools