τέμενος Ποσειδῶνος → precinct of Poseidon

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
τέμενος Ποσειδῶνος → sea

ἔφοδον ἄλλην μνηστήρων ἔδει καὶ ἀγῶνα ἄλλον 3δρόμου. Λακεδαιμονίοις δὲ κατὰ τὴν ὁδὸν ταύτην ἐστίν, ὡς ἤδη λέλεκταί μοι, τὰ ὀνομαζόμενα Βοώνητα, Πολυδώρου ποτὲ οἰκία τοῦ βασιλέως· ἀποθανόντος δὲ παρὰ τοῦ Πολυδώρου τῆς γυναικὸς ἐπρίαντο ἀντιδόντες βοῦς. ἀργύρου γὰρ οὐκ ἦν πω τότε οὐδὲ χρυσοῦ νόμισμα, κατὰ τρόπον δὲ ἔτι τὸν ἀρχαῖον ἀντεδίδοσαν βοῦς καὶ ἀνδράποδα 4καὶ ἀργὸν τὸν ἄργυρον καὶ χρυσόν· οἱ δὲ ἐς τὴν Ἰνδικὴν ἐσπλέοντες φορτίων φασὶν Ἑλληνικῶν τοὺς Ἰνδοὺς ἀγώγιμα ἄλλα ἀνταλλάσσεσθαι, νόμισμα δὲ οὐκ ἐπίστασθαι, καὶ ταῦτα χρυσοῦ τε ἀφθόνου καὶ χαλκοῦ παρόντος σφίσι.

Τοῦ δὲ τῶν Βιδιαίων ἀρχείου πέραν ἐστὶν Ἀθηνᾶς ἱερόν· Ὀδυσσεὺς δὲ ἱδρύσασθαι τὸ ἄγαλμα λέγεται καὶ ὀνομάσαι Κελεύθειαν, τοὺς Πηνελόπης μνηστῆρας τῷ δρόμῳ νικήσας. ἱδρύσατο δὲ τῆς Κελευθείας ἱερὰ ἀριθμῷ τρία διεστηκότα 5ἀπ᾿ ἀλλήλων. προϊόντων δὲ κατὰ τὴν Ἀφεταΐδα ἡρῷά ἐστιν Ἴοπός τε κατὰ Λέλεγα ἢ Μύλητα γενέσθαι δοκοῦντος καὶ Ἀμφιαράου τοῦ Ὀικλέους· τοῦτο δὲ τοὺς Τυνδάρεω παῖδας νομίζουσιν ἅτε ἀνεψιῷ τῷ Ἀμφιαράῳ ποιῆσαι· καὶ αὐτοῦ Λέλεγός ἐστιν ἡρῷον, τούτων δὲ οὐ πόρρω τέμενος Ποσειδῶνος—Ταινάριον δὲ ἐπονομάζουσιν—οὐ μακρὰν δὲ Ἀθηνᾶς ἄγαλμα, ὃ τοὺς ἐς 6Ἰταλίαν τε καὶ Τάραντα ἀποικισθέντας ἀναθεῖναι λέγουσι. τὸ δὲ χωρίον, ὃ καλοῦσιν Ἑλλήνιον, ἐστὶν εἰρημένον ὡς οἱ τῶν Ἑλλήνων Ξέρξην διαβαίνοντα ἐς τὴν Εὐρώπην παρεσκευάζοντο ἀμυνούμενοι, κατὰ τοῦτο τὸ χωρίον βουλευσάμενοι τρόπον ὅντινα ἀνθέξουσιν. ὁ δὲ ἕτερος τῶν

suitors arrived and competed in another foot-race. On this road the Lacedaemonians have, as I have already said, what is called the Boöneta, which once was the house of their king Polydorus. When he died, they bought it from his widow, paying the price in oxen. For at that time there was as yet neither silver nor gold coinage, but they still bartered in the old way with oxen, slaves, and uncoined silver and gold. Those who sail to India say that the natives give other merchandise in exchange for Greek cargoes, knowing nothing about coinage, and that though they have plenty of gold and of bronze.

On the opposite side of the office of the Bidiaeans is a sanctuary of Athena. Odysseus is said to have set up the image and to have named it Keleuthea (Lady of the Road), when he had beaten the suitors of Penelope in the foot-race. Of Keleuthea he set up sanctuaries, three in number, at some distance from each other. Farther along the Aphetaïd Road are hero-shrines, of Iops, who is supposed to have been born in the time of Lelex or Myles, and of Amphiaraus the son of Oïcles. The last they think was made by the sons of Tyndareus, for that Amphiaraus was their cousin. There is a hero-shrine of Lelex himself. Not far from these is a precinct of Poseidon of Taenarum, which is the surname given him, and near by an image of Athena, which is said to have been dedicated by the colonists who left for Tarentum in Italy. As to the place they call the Hellenium, it has been stated that those of the Greeks who were preparing to repel Xerxes when he was crossing into Europe deliberated at this place how they should resist. The other story is that those

(Pausanias 3.12.5)
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hrMHGDrqiRsJ:https://www.loebclassics.com/view/pausanias-description_greece/1918/pb_LCL188.73.xml+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=gr
https://www.archaiologia.gr/blog/photo/%CF%84%CE%AD%CE%BC%CE%B5%CE%BD%CE%BF%CF%82-%CF%80%CE%BF%CF%83%CE%B5%CE%B9%CE%B4%CF%8E%CE%BD%CE%BF%CF%82-%CF%83%CF%84%CE%BF%CE%AC/
« Last Edit: 21 Mar, 2020, 21:54:39 by spiros »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Poseidon was certainly god of the sea (among other attributes), but I wasn't aware that "precinct of Poseidon" could be used simply as a metaphor for "sea." Is this otherwise attested for Cape Taenarum, or elsewhere?

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
α) «τέμενος Ἄρεος» — οι Συρακούσες (Πίνδ.)
β) «τέμενος Νείλου» — η ιερή κοιλάδα του Νείλου (Πίνδ.)
γ) «τέμενος Κηφισίδος» — η λίμνη του Κηφισού που ήταν αφιερωμένη στη νύμφη Κηφισίδα (Πίνδ.)
δ) «ἱερὸν τέμενος [Παλλάδος]» — η Ακρόπολη τών Αθηνών (Αριστοφ.)
ε) «τέμενος Ποσειδῶνος» — η θάλασσα (Αριστοφ.)
https://lsj.gr/wiki/%CF%84%CE%AD%CE%BC%CE%B5%CE%BD%CE%BF%CF%82
« Last Edit: 21 Mar, 2020, 19:44:18 by spiros »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Thanks, I do find ἡ θάλασσα καλεῖται τέμενος τοῦ Ποσειδῶνος in the Greek version of LSJ, but without a specific reference.  Searching all texts of Aristophanes, I find no τέμενος Ποσειδῶνος (not even in oblique cases) in any comedy.  Could the authors of the Greek LSJ have somehow extended the Bacchylidean expression πόντιον ἄλσος (3.85) to refer specifically to Poseidon's τέμενος?  But then why attribute it to Aristophanes?  Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious.

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
It may be a genuine error on their part; I cannot find any such Aristophanes reference either. It seems quite plausible by analogy though ("τέμενος Διός" being the "sky"):

B. assumes that the phrase μ᾿ ἔχει τέμενος Διός is not to be taken literally (Parmenis could not have been buried in Zeus’ temenos) but as a reference to Zeus’ realm, that is, the sky (cf. Aesch., Pers.,365: τέμενος αἰθέρος).
https://journals.openedition.org/kernos/2117
« Last Edit: 21 Mar, 2020, 22:02:27 by spiros »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Ιnstead of an error based on ancient Greek, the phrase ἡ θάλασσα καλεῖται τέμενος τοῦ Ποσειδῶνος might just be a modern (i.e. 19th-cent.) statement, a surmise based on e.g. Bacchylides' πόντιον ἄλσος.  And there doesn't seem to be a reference to "Aristophanes," after all.  Wish I could find E. Zavvou, “Προσθῆκες καὶ διορθώσεις σὲ λακωνικὰ ἐνεπίγραφα μνημεῖα”, Horos 17-21 (2004-2009), pp. 297-310, on the Internet.  She restores a dedicatory inscription to Poseidon at Taenarum.
« Last Edit: 22 Mar, 2020, 05:14:38 by billberg23 »

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour

Search Tools