nellson · 17 · 3587

nellson

• Semi-Newbie
hi, i got married in cyprus last year and wanted a tattoo of the date.wondered if anybody could help? the date i got married was 25.08.06 i have a translation already in modern greek and wanted to check that it was correct before getting tattoo done.i believe in cyprus they use the same numbers as in greece is this correct? cheers!!

banned8

Indeed! In both Cyprus and Greece we use the same numbers and we also write it 25.08.06 (not, for example, 08.25.06 like the Americans).

nellson

• Semi-Newbie
i still want the greek translation of 25.08.06 as it would look written down please, as i intend to use the greek version and not the english for my tattoo.as if you were counting 1-20 and i will put the translations together e.g twenty and five / zero and eight / zero and six, many thanks hope you can help ! the translation i already have looks a little bit like this eikooi nevie / unoev oxiw / unoev eci hope this helps with my enquiry cheers !!

user10

Dear Nellson,

Do you mean you want the date written in full? Because 25.08.06 is how a Greek would write this date using numbers; Greek uses the same numbers as English, with the only difference that in dates the day precedes the month, as Nickel already told you. Anyway, this date in full is as follows:

Είκοσι πέντε Αυγούστου δύο χιλιάδες έξι (twenty fifth of August two thousand six)

Wait to get a confirmation, though!

« Last Edit: 25 Jun, 2007, 17:49:36 by palavra »

Oblitron

OK, so you want to write "twenty-five / zero eight / zero six" on your skin. Why didn't you say so? :)

Εικοσιπέντε / Μηδέν Οκτώ / Μηδέν Έξι

However, you could just write

25 Αυγούστου 2006

which is how the date would be written in Cyprus and Greece.
« Last Edit: 25 Jun, 2007, 17:55:00 by Oblitron »

Oblitron

Greek uses the same numbers as English, with the only difference that in dates the day precedes the month

Let's not get confused here.

In English, the day precedes the month.

In American English, the month precedes the day.

;)

nellson

• Semi-Newbie
many thanks, but are you sure about the translation of the number 0 as yours starts with  M and the translation i have starts with what looks like the letter u ? also does the number 8 have two translations yours looks like okiw mine looks like oxiw. cheers!! we will get there in the end !!

nellson

• Semi-Newbie
has this got something to do with starting the translation in uppercase lettering maybe ? what is the right way, start off with uppercase then lowercase like in English. is this like the translation you gave me earlier cheers !!

lycos

To consolidate:

Εικοσιπέντε Αυγούστου, Δύο Χιλιάδες Έξι = Twenty-Five of August, Two Thousand Six
Εικοσιπέντε Ογδόου, Δύο Χιλιάδες Έξι = Twenty-Five of Eighth, Two Thousand Six

Εικοστή Πέμπτη Αυγούστου, Δύο Χιλιάδες Έξι = Twenty-Fifth of August, Two Thousand Six
Εικοστή Πέμπτη Ογδόου, Δύο Χιλιάδες Έξι = Twenty-Fifth of Eighth, Two Thousand Six

Εικοσιπέντε, Οκτώ, Δύο Χιλιάδες Έξι =Twenty-Five, Eight, Two Thousand Six
Δυο, Πέντε, Μηδέν, Οκτώ, Μηδέν, Έξι =Two, Five, Zero, Eight, Zero, Six

And if you want Ancient Greek Numerals:

κε/η/,βστ =25/08/2006
« Last Edit: 26 Jun, 2007, 21:59:04 by lycos »

banned8

And οκτώ is the same as οχτώ. Go for the first one.

nellson

• Semi-Newbie
is their two ways to translate uppercase and lowercase? if so can i have the two different translations for

twenty - five / zero - eight / zero - six
        25       .       08        .        06

banned8

Dear nellson,

THIS IS UPPER CASE
this is lower case
25.08.06 are numbers.
Translation does not change between upper and lower case.
We sometimes read numbers different from text because there are different ways of reading numbers.
For example, even in English there are different ways of reading out 25/08/06.
The question is: Do you want something in Greek that makes sense or something that looks beautiful?
When we read this date (25.08.06), we will SAY either "είκοσι πέντε ογδόου του δύο χιλιάδες έξι" (twenty-five of eighth of two thousand six) or "εικοστή πέμπτη Αυγούστου του δύο χιλιάδες έξι" (twenty-fifth of August of two thousand six) [this is verbatim, guys, I know it's "two thousand and six" in English]. But we will never WRITE it in the way that we read it.

So please tell us exactly what you need so that we make sure that you end up with something that will not look ridiculous.

nellson

• Semi-Newbie
all i am after is twenty five / zero eight / zero six in greek. i have alot of similar options to pick from already which look very similar to the original i have but sometimes the zero translation looks like Mnoev and the one i have, the zero looks like unoex, one with what looks like a capital M the other with what looks like a u is their any difference ? many thanks !!

banned8

What you have there is a μηδέν and a Μηδέν. In the latter case, the first letter is a capital M, that's all. Go for the lower case. So:

είκοσι πέντε / μηδέν οκτώ / μηδέν έξι
(twenty five...)
or
δύο πέντε / μηδέν οκτώ / μηδέν έξι
(two five...)

I like the first version.

nellson

• Semi-Newbie
i like that one to. thanks a lot for helping me make  my mind up and making things a lot clearer cheers. just have to sit through the pain of getting the tattoo now but it will be worth it!!

Search Tools