When you expect the best, you release a magnetic force in your mind which by a LAW OF ATTRACTION tends to bring the best to you

spiros · 3 · 1837

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Not long ago at luncheon I could not help admiring this dynamic man at the height of his power.

You amaze me,” I commented. “A few years ago you were failing at
everything. Now you have worked up an original idea into a fine business. You are a leader in your community.

Please explain this remarkable change in you.”

“Really it was quite simple,” he replied. “I merely learned the MAGIC OF BELIEVING.

I discovered that if you expect the worst you will get the worst, and if you expect the best you will get the best.

It all happened through actually practicing a verse from the Bible.”
“And what is that verse?”

“If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.” (Mr 9:23)

“I was brought up in a religious home,” he explained, “and heard that verse many times, but it never had any effect upon me. One day in your church I heard you emphasize those words in a talk. In a flash of insight I realized that the key I had missed was that my mind was not trained to believe, to think positively, to have faith in either God or myself.
I followed your suggestion of putting myself in God’s hands
and practiced your outlined techniques of faith. I trained myself to think positively about everything.

Along with that I try to live right.” He smiled and said, “God and I struck up a partnership.

When I adopted that policy, things began to change almost at once for me.

I got into the habit of expecting the best, not the worst, and that is the way my affairs have turned out lately.

I guess it’s a kind of miracle, isn’t it?” he asked as he concluded his fascinating story.

But it wasn’t miraculous at all. Actually what had happened was that he had learned to use one of the most powerful laws in this world, a law recognized alike by psychology and religion,namely, change your mental habits to belief instead of disbelief.

Learn to expect, not to doubt. In so doing you bring everything into the realm of possibility.

This does not mean that by believing you are necessarily going to get everything you want or think you want.

Perhaps that would not be good for you. When you put your trust in God, He guides your mind so that you do not want things that are not good for you or that are inharmonious with God’s will. But it does definitely mean that when you learn to believe, then that which has seemingly been impossible moves into the area of the possible.

Every great thing at last becomes for you a possibility.

William James, the famous psychologist, said, “Our belief at the beginning of a doubtful undertaking is the one thing (now get that—is the one thing ) that insures the successful outcome of your venture.”

To learn to believe is of primary importance.

It is the basic factor of succeeding in any undertaking. When you expect the best, you release a magnetic force in your mind which by a LAW OF ATTRACTION tends to bring the best to you.

But if you expect the worst, you release from your mind the power of repulsion which tends to force the best from you.

It is amazing how a sustained expectation of the best sets in motion forces which cause the best to materialize.

Norman Vincent Peale, The power of positive thinking, Chapter 7, Expect the Best and Get it

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Yeah, Heraclitus would have had a problem with this guy — but then, Heraclitus wasn't trying to sell books.  I've watched people who follow this positivist, optimistic philosophy ruin themselves, their families, and — if you let them — their neighborhoods, communities, even (I'm thinking of certain U.S. presidents — Viet Nam, Iraq) their countries.  Better the watchful attitude of "expecting the unexpected"!

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Well, this is positivism used in a wrong manner. I can be positively sure I will destroy my enemies or I can be positively sure that wherever I go there will be love. The error is not on the side of positivism (I much prefer "positivity" / "optimism") but on the side of the egoic mind using positivity for negative ends. Similarly, you can use a knife to cut bread and give it to people, or, you can use it to stab them. The error is not with the knife. And, no matter how much you blame the knife, nothing will change. You may even abolish knives. Guess what. People will invent guns. You will have to abolish that too, and so on.

When there is no underlying concept of ethics by the specific individual(s), then any philosophy, however humane it purports to be, can be distorted by a selfish orientation. Just have a look at what happened to communism. Since humans implemented it, and humans had their selfish motivation ("absolute power corrupts absolutely") it was nothing else but a variation on totalitarianism.
« Last Edit: 17 Feb, 2011, 17:31:13 by spiros »

Search Tools