Early American → αρχιτεκτονικό στιλ των Πρώτων Αμερικανών, από τους Πρώτους Αμερικανούς, χαρακτηριστικό των Πρώτων Αμερικανών, πρωτοαμερικανικός

banned13

All that breeding, all that Early American stuff → Αριστοκρατική καταγωγή από τους Πρώτους Αμερικανούς

Πείτε καμιά ιδέα γιατί έχω κολλήσει:

-Beautiful place, huh?
-Beautiful enough, yeah.
-And all that money.
-I got money.
-But with the Hardings, it's so much more. There's all that breeding. Is that it? All that Early American stuff?
-I don't give a damn about all that Early American stuff. But if you are talking about clout - yeah.

Τι εννοεί εδώ;
1) All that breeding → έχουν αριστοκρατική καταγωγή
All that Early American stuff → έχουν αντίκες στο σπίτι τους;

Ή
2) All that Early American stuff → ακούγεται ότι κατάγονται από τους πρώτους αποίκους

Mε μπερδεύει το stuff, αν στη συγκεκριμένη περίπτωση σημαίνει αντικείμενα ή φήμες/λόγια.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep, 2021, 12:05:20 by spiros »

NadiaF

• ناديا فامي
  • Γιατί να το κρύψω; Ναι, είμαι μία φελάχα!
Καλησπέρα Αλεξάνδρα,

Πολύ σωστά τα βρήκες μόνη σου

1) αριστοκρατική καταγωγή
2) αντίκες

Γιατί βλέπεις ότι ακολουθεί το "clout = (πολιτική) επιρροή. Δηλαδή, οι τύποι είναι αριστοκρατικής καταγωγής, πλούσιοι (ίσως από τους απογόνους του Mayflower) και έχουν και μεγάλη επιρροή / δύναμη στην περιοχή. Αλλά, επειδή δεν γνωρίζω την πλοκή, εσύ ξέρεις αν ισχύουν όλα αυτά.

Καλή συνέχεια :-))
Μην κοιμάσαι, είναι επικίνδυνο. Μην ξυπνήσεις, θα το μετανοιώσεις!
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Αλεξάνδρα, μου φαίνεται το εξής:
Βreeding = οι πατροπαράδοτες συνήθειες
Stuff = λόγια, ή και μυθολογία.

"Breeding" refers to the style, demeanor, atmosphere of "old wealth."  It's hard to define, so the word "stuff" is used, which is one of the most bafflingly ambiguous words in the American language.  It's something we fall back on when what we are trying to describe defies description -- or at least description with the limited vocabulary of the uncultured -- in terms of quality or quantity.  For example, the ill-educated masses often substitute "and stuff" for "et cetera."

banned13

So, Bill, would you think that when they say "All that Early American stuff", they mean "These people have Early American objects in their house", or "it is rumoured that they have ancestors who were on the Mayflower"?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
So, Bill, would you think that when they say "All that Early American stuff", they mean "These people have Early American objects in their house", or "it is rumoured that they have ancestors who were on the Mayflower"?

Definitely not "objects."  We're not talking about anything concrete and tactile, but rather about an abstraction -- about the whole style, atmosphere, and cultural paraphernalia that go along with descent from Mayflower ancestors.

Search Tools