ἀσκέω - legend ?

bob2translatum

• Semi-Newbie
Please,

I would like to know if it exists such a translation/legend of the word "ασκεω"
as I found it explained as being "....a word whose ethimology takes us back in time by 24 centuries , when the First Intendent of Alexander the Great’s army received the title  askew, Ascheo, “he who works with care.”
on http://www.ascointernational.com/client/site/page.php?id=1916  page.

I personally use the derived ASCO for business in US and I recently became aware that in spanish means disgust. I was thinking to change it then I found that legend. Even so I'm still undecided Spanish being the second language in US...

I think I've got already the Greek modern translation for "ασκεω" from https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E1%BC%80%CF%83%CE%BA%CE%AD%CF%89 where says that it means : I work, I honor , I practice, but nothing about that above translation.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun, 2009, 06:54:53 by billberg23 »

oberonsghost

Hi Bob,

Liddell and Scott's A Greek English Lexicon provides a well rounded out definition of this word.  It's primary meaning is work raw materials and its further meanings - work by art, dress out, practice, go into training - develop from this.

This explanation is here http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text.jsp?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057%3Aalphabetic+letter%3D*a%3Aentry+group%3D326%3Aentry%3Da%29ske%2Fw.

Regarding you company brand, you might need to consider the reaction of the bulk of your customers.  Are they likely to be confused (or put off) by the word ASCO?  If they are, the name ASCO is unlikely to work in your favour.

:)
Πουλιὰ τὸ βάρος τῆς καρδιᾶς μας ψυλὰ μηδενίζοντας καὶ πολὺ γαλάζιο ποὺ ἀγαπήσαμε!  (Ἐλύτης)

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Excellent advice, oberonsghost!  But what a wonderful legend!  And yet nowhere do I find a source for it in ancient writings.  But perhaps I'm not looking in the right place. 

I guess you haven't found a source, either, Bob.  Too bad about the Spanish.  Well, it looks like you have a great business, anyway.  Live long and prosper!

bob2translatum

• Semi-Newbie
Thanks a lot for your advice.

The legend that I found about "ασκεω" and written on the site that I posted above has a long article about it. Site is a touristic Vietnamese company as I see from their business address. Might be made up I don't know. Here is the all article about the ασκεω legend as I don't want anybody to think that I want to direct traffic on their website.

"When, in may 334 b.C., the army of Alexander the Great passed the Dardanelle streits and started its march towards the heart of Asia, a young man coming from the cold valleys of the Great North was following that army, amongst the moltitudes of merchants, artisans, prostitutes, wine keepers and wagon builders. He wasn’t a man of war and although he was following that army he never grasped a weapon, but he became an expert craftsman, he learnt to ride horses and lead wagons, and the art of commerce, as well as revealing great culinary  and canteen management capabilities. While Alexander’s army marched till the heart of Asia, in the camps his reputation grew as a man capable of many trades. There was no job he couldn’t do with great mastery, to the extent that the princes following Alexander turned to him to organize feasts and banquets, the transport of the concubines or of their own treasures, and to  build large luxuriously furnished tents, to stock up with refined wines, to get hold of comfortable porters or fast horses. There was so much talk of his ability that the general  Parmenione wanted to meet him. The old warrior, seeing him so young, asked him «what secret abilities has the god Hermes conceded you, so much so that you are able to execute  with such mastery every task you are assigned?».  The young barbarian, slightly taken aback, managed to answer only with one of the few greek words he had learnt, and said: «askew», meaning “ I work with care and diligence”. Parmenione liked his reply and said «from today you will be my First Intendant and since your barbarian name is unpronounceable for us Greeks, I would call you Askew, Askeo, and this will be the name of all your descendants». Askeo followed  the army to the valley of the Indo and settled in the beautiful city of Taxila. He had a great descendance and all male first borns carried his name,  Ascheo, and continued the activities of their ancestor....."

YES I COULDN'T CAME ACROSS TO ANY OTHER SOURCES IN RELATION WITH THIS LEGEND.

Search Tools