Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257078

xuxu

• Semi-Newbie
I want to make a tattoo with this words.Can you confirm what the mean?
πεπρωμένο
πυρκαγιά
άγγελος
θάρρος
ζωή
θεά

And how do i write Diana(portuguese name) and this phrase: "It doesn´t matter how big the mountain is because it can´t hide the sun"

Thank you guys

Πρωτέαs

• Χορέψετε, χορέψετε, παπούτσια μη λυπάστε!
πεπρωμένο = destiny
πυρκαγιά = fire
άγγελος = angel
θάρρος = courage
ζωή = life
θεά = goddess
Το ότι κάποιοι ζουν στον ίδιο χώρο, δεν σημαίνει ότι ζουν και στον ίδιο χρόνο ή τουλάχιστον ότι βιώνουν τον χρόνο με τον ίδιο τρόπο. Αυτό δεν κάνει τον κόσμο χειρότερο, απλώς πιο πολύπλοκο. σα(ρε)μάλι

14.   Ναι, βεβαίως. Σων, φέρε τα λεφτά του Ανθόνιο.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I"No one holds command over me. No man. No god. No price."
Ἐμοῦ οὐ δεσπόζει οὔτ' ἄνθρωπος οὔτε θεὸς οὔτε μισθός.

xanthe

• Semi-Newbie
It's no translation at all.  It"s the original Greek.  Matthew wrote in Greek.  The King James bible translation that you quote is a literal translation into English.

Ah, I see. Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: 28 Aug, 2007, 03:25:03 by xanthe »

MeAgainstTheMusic

• Semi-Newbie
thanks!!!!!!!
Just one question. I ask only b/c this will be tattooed and uhm... I don't want it to be wrong. I don't doubt your translation, I am greatful.
I've seen a different greek word for "man" - ἀνδρί.
Is there a reson why its different?
One other thing is there a reason this "no" - οὔτ' is different than - οὔτε?

Ἐμοῦ οὐ δεσπόζει οὔτ' ἄνθρωπος οὔτε θεὸς οὔτε μισθός

Just wondering!!! but thank you though!!!!!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I've seen a different greek word for "man" - ἀνδρί.
Is there a reson why its different?
One other thing is there a reason this "no" - οὔτ' is different than - οὔτε?

Ἐμοῦ οὐ δεσπόζει οὔτ' ἄνθρωπος οὔτε θεὸς οὔτε μισθός
Ἀνδρί is the dative case of ἀνήρ, the word for "man" as a masculine personage.  I chose ἄνθρωπος, the word for "man" as a human being, since it seemed to contrast well with "god."
Οὔτε normally drops the final epsilon before a word beginning with a vowel, though it's not absolutely necessary if you don't like the contraction.  You could certainly get away with οὔτε ἄνθρωπος (or οὔτε ἀνὴρ, for that matter).

MeAgainstTheMusic

• Semi-Newbie
I like it the way you translated... I was just curious.
Thank you sooooo much!!!!
I'm the type to always question everything only because I love learning new things...
Thanks!!

sweden

• Semi-Newbie
Hi,
My name is Ronny and I’m going to get a tattoo the next time I come to Greece (I live in Sweden). Below you see my kids name spelled in Greek letters. I would like to have it written with a font called Old English Text MT (Old English Text MT).
Is this possible?

Best Regards

Ronny Tzigounakis

Ηλιας Αλεξανδρος

Euterpe

Unless I am mistaken, I don't think it is possible... I've just tried in Word and I don't think this font includes "symbols" such as the Greek alphabet.

You may want to play with Word and see if you like something else...

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Hi, Ronny.

This font does not work with Greek characters.
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

buns1988

• Semi-Newbie
I am looking to get a tattoo within the next couple days and I need help with a translation.  I want to translate the quote "Nothing is impossible to him who will try" to Ancient Greek.  If someone could help me out with the upper case and lower case translation that would be great. Thanks.

mishl8

• Semi-Newbie
I was wondering if someone can give me the acient greek translation for this quote  "There are only two remedies for the suffering of the soul: Hope and Patience"     Also if the is any way that it can be written big enough for me to trace for a tat.
« Last Edit: 05 Sep, 2007, 07:26:12 by mishl8 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I was wondering if someone can give me the acient greek translation for this quote  "There are only two remedies for the suffering of the soul: Hope and Patience"     Also if the is any way that it can be written big enough for me to trace for a tat.
This quotation is all over the Web in English, sometimes attributed to Socrates, sometimes to Pythagoras, usually to no one.  It may be one of those popular sentiments that one or more people have decided to dignify by connecting it with a famous name from antiquity. (Though often, right after I've made such a statement, someone will come forward to prove me wrong — so let's not lose hope altogether!)
 If you really need to have it with Greek letters, and are OK with modern Greek, you might try posting your question on the "English-Greek" section of this site.  Otherwise, here are the ancient Greek words for "hope" and "patience" in capital letters (to make it easy for you and/or your tattooist to draw them):

Ε Λ Π Ι Σ                                            Υ Π Ο Μ Ο Ν Η

The "suffering of the soul," by the way, would be difficult to say in the dead language.  Ancient Greek would probably need to specify what the soul was suffering from.
« Last Edit: 05 Sep, 2007, 17:02:04 by billberg23 »

Search Tools