δεν έπεφτε μήλο → it was jam-packed, it was completely jam-packed, it was jampacked, it was completely jampacked, it was so packed that you couldn't have found enough space to stand up the proverbial needle

FrMichael

• Semi-Newbie
I'm an English speaker who is working on translating a Greek book.  I've come across the phrase "Δεν ἐπεφτε μἠλο".  It's obvious to me what the words mean ("an apple didn't fall", unless they're talking about cheekbones), but I suspect it's more like "there wasn't room to drop an apple".

The context is as follows: "Στήν κηδεία του, θυμάμαι, είχε τόσο πολύ κόσμο, πού δέν έπεφτε μήλο."  Could someone please either confirm my impression that it means "there wasn't room to drop an apple", or explain to me the actual meaning of this idiom?  To you it might seem obvious, but to me the mental image of cheekbones pressing against each other and supporting each other compels me to hesitate.

I can't find the meaning of this expression in any of my book, and Google only brings up Greek articles that use this expression and do not explain it.
« Last Edit: 28 Mar, 2023, 17:09:35 by spiros »

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
It was jam-packed, a variation of δεν έπεφτε καρφίτσα ("there was no space to drop a pin").
The place was so packed that you couldn’t have found enough space to stand up the proverbial needle
« Last Edit: 28 Mar, 2023, 13:10:07 by spiros »

Search Tools