Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257638

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Hey, i would like to get the words "love", "hate", "beginning" and "end" translated..
I don´t mean "agaph", "misos", "arxi" " and "telos",  i need the ancient translation..
Do you mean, "I need the words in the original Greek"?  If so, here they are, in upper and lower case:
AΓΑΠΗ  ἀγάπη 
ΜΙΣΟΣ  μῖσος
ΑΡΧΗ  ἀρχή
ΤΕΛΟΣ  τέλος
By the way, the words are the same in both ancient and modern Greek!

vango

• Semi-Newbie
Hmm, the words are not the same in ancient and modern greek! (not really) :)

I found something interesting...

Take a look at

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/efts/Woodhouse/

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Hmm, the words are not the same in ancient and modern greek! (not really) :)
We're struggling to grasp your point, Vango.  Did we misunderstand your request?  For example, did you want the verbs for "love," and "hate," rather than the nouns (which we gave you)?
Thanks for the link to the 1910 Woodhouse dictionary.  For those who understand how to use such a dictionary (and who understand terms like "substantive"), it will be useful.   

banned8

I suppose Vango wants words like έρως or φιλώ for 'love' (αγάπη being the 'Christian' word). But, Vango, I don't understand the problem you have otherwise. Woodhouse does provide a number of translations and synonyms, but μίσος, αρχή and τέλος are there, and are words still in use with the same meaning.

vango

• Semi-Newbie
Nickel, i found Woodhouse a couple of minutes after my first post.
I don´t have a problem anymore, thank you :)

Billberg, i´ll thank you, too inspite of your (i guess..) ironic comment...

maridith22

• Semi-Newbie
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if someone could help me with the ancient greek for the word "doula."  It is for a tattoo.  =]  Thank you very much.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I was wondering if someone could help me with the ancient greek for the word "doula."
Is it a proper name, or do you mean the Greek word for (female) slave (δούλη), or do you simply want d-o-u-l-a (whatever it means) spelled in Greek (ΔΟΥΛΑ)?

Hendrix

• Semi-Newbie
Hi,
I'm a chef and would like to get a tattoo of a quote by Socrates on food.  I would really appreciate help in the translation.

"Bad men live that they may eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink that they may live."
-- Socrates

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"Bad men live that they may eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink that they may live."
This saying is attributed to Socrates by [pseudo-]Plutarch, in the fourth chapter of a quaint little work entitled "How a Young Man Ought to Hear Poems" (in the second book of the Moralia).
I don't have the Greek text.  Whoever does, will gratify the hearts of billberg23 and Hendrix!
« Last Edit: 29 Apr, 2007, 17:36:58 by billberg23 »

banned8

Sorry, I had missed this one:

In the original it says:

ὑπομνηστέον ὅτι Σωκράτης τοὐναντίον ἔλεγε, τοὺς μὲν φαύλους ζῆν τοῦ ἐσθίειν καὶ πίνειν ἕνεκα, τοὺς δ' ἀγαθοὺς ἐσθίειν καὶ πίνειν ἕνεκα τοῦ ζῆν

So I suppose, for brevity's sake:

οἱ μὲν φαῦλοι ζῆν τοῦ ἐσθίειν καὶ πίνειν ἕνεκα, οἱ δ' ἀγαθοὶ ἐσθίειν καὶ πίνειν ἕνεκα τοῦ ζῆν

nicolettaninos

Good Morning,

Can someone please translate the following names into Greek for me?

Derek

Elenni (with 2 n's)

Deacon

Kallissa (with 2 l's & 2 s's)

Xchyler

Many Thanks in advance
Nicoletta

Live-Love-Laugh

nicolettaninos

nicolettaninos

Ohh right...thank you.

Everytime i do a google search for greek orthodox cross thats what comes up...i shall keep looking.

Thanks
Nicoletta

Live-Love-Laugh

banned8

Lots of crosses to choose from are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross

The cross with the slanted bar appears there as the cross of the Eastern Orthodox church. Also here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodox_Church
So you may have hit the nail on the head (oops!). I just think it is more familiar in Russian churches.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr, 2007, 15:16:34 by nickel »

Search Tools