Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257102

dbrasco444

• Semi-Newbie
thank you billberg! I know the spartans were greek. I just know they had a different dialect and i wasnt sure if that word was wide spread. No disrespect.

dbrasco444

• Semi-Newbie
I was also wondering how the phrase "No Fear" would translate in ancient Greek?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I was also wondering how the phrase "No Fear" would translate in ancient Greek?
ΘΑΡΣΕΙ (lower case θάρσει):  literally, "Fear not!"

banned8

In Theocritus we also find the phrase "Θαρσεῖν χρή" (i.e. one should not fear), which is also quite common in modern Greek.

I believe it is also in the emblem of the Greek marine corps.

« Last Edit: 20 Mar, 2007, 16:56:21 by nickel »

Helen of Troy

• Semi-Newbie
I'm looking for the translation for the following words:

Truth
Passionate
Independent
Strong

Does anyone know if the meanings would be changed if the letters ran vertical rather than horizontal?

Thanks!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I'm looking for the translation for the following words:

Truth
Passionate
Independent
Strong

Does anyone know if the meanings would be changed if the letters ran vertical rather than horizontal?
Truth = H AΛΗΘΕΙΑ   (ἡ ἀλήθεια)
Passionate = ΣΦΟΔΡΟΣ   (σφοδρός) ,  feminine  ΣΦΟΔΡΑ   (σφοδρά)
Independent = ΑΥΤΟΝΟΜΟΣ   (αὐτόνομος)
Strong = ΔΥΝΑΤΟΣ  (δυνατός)

Ι can't imagine the meanings changing if the words are written vertically.  The ancients didn't normally write vertically, however, unless they were composing acrostics.
« Last Edit: 21 Mar, 2007, 02:16:41 by billberg23 »

jesskougl

• Semi-Newbie
I want "Psalms 118:8" (just the phrase, not the actual whole Bible verse) translated into ancient Greek for a tattoo. Help?
« Last Edit: 22 Mar, 2007, 18:43:09 by jesskougl »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I want "Psalms 118:8" (just the phrase, not the actual whole Bible verse) translated into ancient Greek for a tattoo. Help?
(Psalms 118:8 Septuagint): Ἀγαθὸν πεποιθέναι ἐπὶ κύριον ἢ πεποιθέναι ἐπ' ἄνθρωπον.

banned8

Ψαλμοὶ ριη´:η´

Just joking :-)
« Last Edit: 22 Mar, 2007, 23:00:30 by nickel »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Ψαλμοὶ ριη´:η´

Just joking :-)
Oυψ, αυτό εννοεί, σοβαρά!  Δε μου κατέβηκε ποτέ!
« Last Edit: 23 Mar, 2007, 03:13:48 by billberg23 »

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Oυψ, αυτό εννοεί, σοβαρά!  Δε μου κατέβηκε ποτέ!

Χαχαχαχα... ούτε κι εγώ το είχα σκεφτεί. Μπράβο, Νίκο, άρχοντα των χαρακωμένων (παραμένω απλή πριγκίπισσα και με ρωτάνε σε προσωπικά μηνύματα πώς να χαρακωθούν - τούτος ο εφιάλτης ποτέ δεν θα περάσει).
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

ollyorb

• Semi-Newbie
Hi there!

I was wondering if you'd be able to translate something into Ancient Greek (lower case), for a potential tattoo, please?

"I did not ask for the life I was given, but it was given, none the less. And with it, I did my best."

Cheers!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"I did not ask for the life I was given, but it was given, none the less. And with it, I did my best."
See Forum Rules (blue button at top of page):
1.5 If you ask for translation help please limit your query to 12 words and ALWAYS provide CONTEXT. If you want help with something bigger than that then you may contact one of the members or directly Translatum Translation Services for professional translation.

ollyorb

• Semi-Newbie
Hi there!

Sorry to bother you, but i'm really trying to find an accurate ancient greek translation (lower case), but the phrase is over 12 words long so I can't post it in the forum.  Does this mean i'm allowed to ask a member for help?  If so that'd be fantastic.

The phrase is:  "I did not ask for the life I was given, but it was given, none the less. And with it, I did my best."

The context is nothing in particular; I don't think it was ever said by anyone famous or anything, I just heard it on TV and really liked it!!  If you could help me out it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Moderator's note: No problem with the number of the words. I promised ollyorb that we shall do our best to help.:-)
« Last Edit: 24 Mar, 2007, 18:40:44 by wings »

Search Tools