Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1256944

pocketsk

• Semi-Newbie
since i'm kind of a nerd i decided to get a tattoo based on the Dune series of books. One of the main characters, Duke Leto Atreides, is said to be descended directly from Agamemnon and is my favorite character. I will be getting a tattoo of his ducal emblem (a red hawk on a banner of green and black) just below my right collarbone and I would like to have something he said written under it in ancient greek.

The quote is "never forget compassion".

I've tried to look up translations for these words and tried to call upon my high school greek knowledge (which has almost completely abandoned me) and am fed up and would greatly appreciate any help. I realize there are many ways to translate these words and would appreciate a few options, if you don't mind.

thank you very much.

juan

• Semi-Newbie
thanks nickel, but I'm actually looking for: "To Eris Human" - using 'Eris' as a double-entendre

cheers,
Juan

banned8

thanks nickel, but I'm actually looking for: "To Eris Human" - using 'Eris' as a double-entendre.

I felt tempted to point out that Eris is the Greek for discord, but I thought that it would be irrelevant. In English, the double entendre would be incomprehensible to anyone unfamiliar with the Greek word or goddess, and probably considered a mistake even by those like me familiar with the Greek word, perhaps because we do not think of the word as a verb. However, if you are happy with it, use it.

Having said that, you probably realise that double-entendres may work in one language but do not always translate into another. Where could one fit Eris into the Greek text?

Stuart14

• Semi-Newbie
Hi Nickel.

Quick question! I realise the ancient Greeks did not use the same calendar system that we use now, so direct date translations are impossible, but is a littreral numerical translation possible?

Would 21/3/2007 translate as ΔΔΙ ΙΙΙ ΧΧΠΙΙ?

Thanks a lot.

banned8

Would 21/3/2007 translate as ΔΔΙ ΙΙΙ ΧΧΠΙΙ?
Let me refer you to the discussion that started here: https://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=309.msg86638#msg86638
and to the link mentioned there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_numerals

Your version combines Greek with Roman numerals.
Try:
λα’ γ’ ‚βζ’
To reiterate: which would not have meant much to the ancients.

juan

• Semi-Newbie
hey Nickel,

Yes, I do realize she is the greek god of strife and discord ;)
I also realize that double entendres rarely work outside one language, just wanting to disguise the meaning, and I also like greek lettering.

So perhaps for simplicities sake, maybe a literal translation of the words "To", "Eris", and "Human" would work?

Thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated.

Juan

banned8

So perhaps for simplicities sake, maybe a literal translation of the words "To", "Eris", and "Human" would work?

Simplicity goes hand in hand with Systran, but not with the aims of this forum. So here's another idea. "To quarrel is human" would be:

Τὸ ἐρίζειν ἀνθρώπινον

(ἐρίζω is the verb from ἔρις, eris, discord)

Now, if you want to be cute about it, you can say:

Τὸ errίζειν ἀνθρώπινον

juan

• Semi-Newbie
Thanks again nickel, great information to work with. so i must ask, what does "Τὸ errίζειν ἀνθρώπινον" roughly translate to? i'm trying to figure out the 'cuteness' of it ;)

thanks

banned8

It does not translate to anything. I have replaced the Greek "er" in "erizein" (=to quarrel) with the English "err" of the original English "To err is human".

juan

• Semi-Newbie

Jane 10

• Semi-Newbie
Hello, I want to get a famous Plato quote translated into ancient greek, could you please translate it for me?
The quote is...

"Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul for the education of its virtue."

Could you also translate 'Plato' into ancient greek please.

Thank you.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
“The energy of the mind is the essence of life.” - Aristotle

I was wondering if you might be able to tell me the origin of this quote.  I have searched on my own and have found nothing substantial.  The moderators here seem to have a large amount of resources for situations such as these.  I am also interested in seeing it in it's original text.  Thank you.
See the earlier response in the Ancient Greek Forum here:  https://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=7436.0

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Hello, I want to get a famous Plato quote translated into ancient greek, could you please translate it for me?
The quote is...
"Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul for the education of its virtue."
Could you also translate 'Plato' into ancient greek please.
Jane, my first response was to say that this statement could not have been made by Plato, who could never have given such a blanket endorsement to the effects of music;  he consistently expressed his distrust of poets and musicians, who regularly put words, melodies, and gestures together inappropriately.  The resulting mix, in his opinion, tended to lead the young not towards, but away from, virtue.

Nevertheless, the “quote” you cite is all over the Internet, always in those exact words, and always attributed to Plato without reference to a specific text.  The origin of the quotation was finally pointed out to me by Forum administrator nickel (aka The Fontmaster).  It’s from Plato's Laws 673a, and it goes like this:

Τὰ μὲν τοίνυν τῆς φωνῆς μέχρι τῆς ψυχῆς πρὸς ἀρετὴν παιδείας οὐκ οἶδ’ ὅντινα τρόπον ὠνομάσαμεν μουσικήν.

This text refers to a previous discussion of the proper composition and interaction of music and dance, and describes music not as it is commonly practiced (e.g., making instruments independent of, rather than subordinate to, the human voice), but as an ideal.  Here is a more or less literal translation:

“We’ve managed somehow to give the name of music to those properties of the voice [the ‘ movement’ of the voice had just been compared to the movement of the body in choral dance ] which pertain to the education of the soul towards virtue.”

The Jowett translation (still, for most of Plato, the only accessible English version) gives a loose interpretation, which probably became the basis for your quotation:

“And the sound of the voice which reaches and educates the soul, we have ventured to term music.”

So the form of the quotation you cited is not entirely consistent with Plato’s original sense.  Here, as often in literary interpretation, there’s a fine line between confusion and oversimplification.  Sorry to be so long-winded and complex.

Plato’s name in Greek is simpler to convey:  Πλάτων.

ZCHanson

• Semi-Newbie
Could anyone translate this phrase for me?

Exhaust the body
Proceed the mind
Cultivate the spirit

thanks in advance!!!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
@ ZCHansen:
Three phrases, one motto.  And I'm assuming "proceed" means "advance."

τὸ σῶμα ἀντλεῖν
τὸν νοῦν σπεύδειν
τὴν ψυχὴν τρέφειν
« Last Edit: 08 Aug, 2007, 15:20:49 by billberg23 »