ἀκόλουθος → attendant

kmkagent

• Semi-Newbie
akólouthos – literally, "the follower" or "the one who accompanies"

Need to be sure that the capital and lower-case letters in this translation are correct/allocated correctly.  Also would like to know if there are any negative or derogatory associations with this word.  Thank you!!
« Last Edit: 08 Sep, 2009, 05:34:24 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΣ in upper case.  Nothing particularly derogatory about it.  It did usually mean "attendant," in the sense of "servant," and was the regular word for "camp-follower."
« Last Edit: 26 Sep, 2009, 08:20:11 by billberg23 »

kmkagent

• Semi-Newbie
Thank you, that's just the thing. I appreciate the help.

kmkagent

• Semi-Newbie
On the other hand.. 'camp follower' has its own connotation,ha.

kmkagent

• Semi-Newbie
I *am* curious as to, why all upper-case? I do not think I could possibly hazard a guess why.
What are the rules regarding lower- and upper-case letters in Greek?

Best wishes and my grateful thanks.

kmkagent

• Semi-Newbie
Wait, no - I think there's a prior reply:

"The Greek alphabet (upper case) was pretty much standardized in the Alexandrian period (3rd cent. BC) and remains the same today.  The lower case developed gradually over time from cursive script, and wasn't standardized until the middle ages. "

Is this it?

I'm sorry for these questions, but there's so little time to research this issue properly.  I am also worried about the mis-use of language, for philosophical, economic and social reasons, of course.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Wait, no - I think there's a prior reply:

"The Greek alphabet (upper case) was pretty much standardized in the Alexandrian period (3rd cent. BC) and remains the same today.  The lower case developed gradually over time from cursive script, and wasn't standardized until the middle ages. "

Is this it?
I'm sorry for these questions, but there's so little time to research this issue properly.  I am also worried about the mis-use of language, for philosophical, economic and social reasons, of course.
We thought you had asked for the Greek word in capital (upper case) letters, and that's what we gave you.  The information you quote from the "prior reply" is correct.  We'll be happy to answer any further questions, dear K!

Search Tools