A Question about Forum Abuse

esnaiig

Pertaining to this following topic of the RULES:

"1.5 The same applies to forum abuse, i.e. people who post a high volume of questions in a short period of time without making any contribution to the forum whatsoever."

I am not a professional translator, but rather someone who has had six years in Greek language training and work professionally as an English writer who is trying to improve my Greek and English-to-Greek translation skills. Thus, my only contribution to this forum can be in the form of questions to improve the above skills in a particular context. I simply cannot help with Greek.

So my question is: How many questions am I allowed to post regarding help with English-to-Greek translation without any contribution on my part, without it being considered forum abuse?

Kind regards,
esnaiig.

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Hello esnaiig and Happy New Year to you!!!

You can ask as many questions you wish, provided you give us enough context and any other necessary information. Also, any member is supposed to do some research work on his own and only turn to forum members for help, when he/she cannot find satisfactory research results on Internet resources. All forum members are volunteers and they are not expected to do extra work when Google or any other search engines can give the askers easy answers and nobody can be expected to guess what the asker or his/her context might mean. The forum also supplies a lot of bilingual dictionaries and glossaries on-line and you can consult them before asking questions.

However, you can always help with questions from Greek into English.

I hope everything is much clearer now.:-)
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

esnaiig

Oh, thanks for that information.

I always only go here once I have tried everything else. The translators here are very good as they bring in their editing skills, Greek language experience, and human skills that just aren't available no matter what dictionaries/grammar guides/glossaries etc. you can consult without having much experience with the language. Already, some of the translators here have provided me with priceless comments that just can't be found anywhere else, and I am very grateful for that.

But, no doubt, I'll follow what you told me and be aware not to abuse this forum (even though my fingers itch to send nearly every third sentence I come across here :-) )

Best wishes and Happy New Year,
esnaiig.

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour

Search Tools