It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. → Ὀ γ' εὖ πεπαιδευμένος διὰ τοῦτο γνωρίζεται, ὅτι νόημά τι ἐπισκεψάμενος αἰνεῖν οὐκ ἀναγκάζεται

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Yes, it's one of those "Aristotle" quotations that somehow got all over the Web, but never with a source cited.  If The Philosopher said it, I suspect it's buried somewhere in the vast corpus of Diogenes Laertius.  Unfortunately, I don't have his text, so can't search it.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Ὀ γ’ εὖ πεπαιδευμένος διὰ τοῦτο γνωρίζεται, ὅτι νόημά τι ἐπισκεψάμενος αἰνεῖν οὐκ ἀναγκάζεται.

(Trying to sound as Aristotelian as possible, but still hoping someone will come up with the real thing.)

mowntan

• Semi-Newbie
Thanks Billberg!!

I'm going to be engraving this on a present for my girlfriend, she's greek and going back to school for law. Thought this might be a good quote for going back to school. Are these lowercase letters or uppercase, if they are lowercase could I get you to translate to uppercase if its not too much trouble?
I am just learning greek and it was my understanding that lowercase letters are harder to read then uppercase (specially if they are engraved on wood).
Anything to make it easier to read i guess!!  :)

Thanks again for your help!!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Sure.  Here's the same sentence, all in upper case:

Ο  Γ'  ΕΥ  ΠΕΠΑΙΔΕΥΜΕΝΟΣ  ΔΙΑ  ΤΟΥΤΟ  ΓΝΩΡΙΖΕΤΑΙ,  ΟΤΙ  ΝΟΗΜΑ  ΤΙ  ΕΠΙΣΚΕΨΑΜΕΝΟΣ  ΑΙΝΕΙΝ  ΟΥΚ  ΑΝΑΓΚΑΖΕΤΑΙ 
« Last Edit: 26 Aug, 2007, 03:18:14 by billberg23 »

Search Tools