Update on downtime issues of April 2006

spiros · 3 · 4245

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Below is my discussion with the host:

Wed Apr 26 2006 06:00AM
I think these problems are caused by downtime. I had two more downtime instances today:

DVE2288 (204.157.15.171)
DOWN at Apr 26 2006 01:17 AM (US/Eastern)
Err: ping: request timeout

DVE2288 (204.157.15.171)
DOWN at Apr 26 2006 02:27 AM (US/Eastern)
Err: ping: request timeout

Can you please let me know what is causing these frequent problems?

Also, how can I set up a cron job to repair a certain table(s) in db translat_forum? The one affected is usually translat_forum.smf_log_online.

Wed Apr 26 2006 06:07AM
>I think these problems are caused by downtime. I had two more downtime instances today:

The hardware node had an issue and needed to be rebooted today. We have replaced the kernel with a stable version with which we've had success on a couple of other nodes and we hope that the kernel change will ensure the stability of this node as well. The reboot after the kernel change was the second instance of downtime that you've noticed.

> Also, how can I set up a cron job to repair a certain table(s) in db translat_forum? The one affected is
> usually translat_forum.smf_log_online.

You simply add a cron job via cPanel where you run the following command:
mysqlcheck -r translat_forum
« Last Edit: 26 Apr, 2006, 13:29:06 by spiros »

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Another message from the host:

As we have not been able to come to the root cause of the problem that has lead to the instability of the hardware node your VPS is located on, we are going to migrate your VPS to a new node so that we can bring the current one offline for more extensive diagnostics.

Rather than schedule a maintainence window that could have your server offline for several hours, we are going to move you to a new server in order to keep downtime to an absolute minimum.

You will recieve an email as your VPS starts migrating.  Once the migration is complete, you will receive a second email letting you know it is complete.  At that point, we suggest giving your server a once over to make sure it comes back correctly and that all services start.  We will be checking to make sure the server itself comes online, however we cannot check the individual services. 

We apologize in advance for the inconvienence, but feel this is the best solution to moving towards full stability.  If you have any questions, please contact support.

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour

Search Tools