be strong sayeth my heart, for I am a soldier, and I have seen worse –> έσο δυνατός, λέει η καρδιά μου, γιατί είμαι στρατιώτης και έχω δει χειρότερα

Guest · 7 · 4077

Zorgnak

I'm new to this and I don't know a thing about Greek (or Mythology, for that matter), so please forgive my ignorance.  There's a quote from The Iliad, I believe, when Odysseus's men all abandon him (maybe it's The Odyssey), and he says:

"Be strong sayeth my heart, for I am a soldier, and I have seen worse sights than these"

Could someone help me translate this?  I don't know where to go for an accurate translation to the Greek alphabet.

Any help would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: 18 Jan, 2022, 09:39:15 by spiros »

banned8

Sorry to disappoint you but there's nothing like that in the Iliad or the Odyssey. This or other renderings of this quotation on the Internet seem to be the product of some fertile imagination.
« Last Edit: 25 May, 2005, 18:46:51 by wings »

Zorgnak

Ayeeeeee!  My Disappointment Factor is at about a 25%. ALACK.
Thank you very much for your reply, Nickel.  I welcome any light on the issue, even if it is of an unforseen shade. I appreciate whatever time you put into this response.

My search continues...

-ME
« Last Edit: 25 May, 2005, 18:47:06 by wings »

Zorgnak

Hmmmm.  So...I don't mean to be redundant, just mildy intoxicated tonight.  Regardless of the origin of the quote, I would still very much appreciate a translation if anyone is interested in taking the time.

Nickel - I actually got it from a book, but it WAS a novel, so go figure...I had noticed, however, that there are cetainly a number of variations of the actual quote that I remember from the book, to be found on the Internet.  I just figured it was a difference in translation preference.  Gee, I'm lost...

Thanks,
ME
« Last Edit: 25 May, 2005, 18:47:22 by wings »

Kennedy

Hi there, Zorgnak.

" Έσο δυνατός, λέει η καρδιά μου, γιατί είμαι στρατιώτης και έχω δει χειρότερα. "

That would be my take. :-)
« Last Edit: 06 Jun, 2005, 16:13:21 by nickel »
Verberat nos et lacerat fortvna: patiamvr. Non est sævitia, certamen est, qvod qvo sæpivs adierimvs, fortiores erimvs. Seneca

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Quite good take, Kennedy.

Though I would rather go for "Να είσαι δυνατός" as the rest of your translation is purely Modern Greek.
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

Search Tools