what does not kill you can only make you stronger → ό,τι δεν σε σκοτώνει σε κάνει πιο δυνατό

hollyitlod

• Semi-Newbie
hi guys!
to me, this is a very personal and meaningful proverb, and i haven't found anywhere i can translate it, even though i've been searching for almost three months! this site seems really great and i thought, hey, if i can't get it here, i'll never get it. im getting it as a tattoo so accuracy would be greatly appreciated!
thanks a million!! u guys rock!
« Last Edit: 03 Sep, 2013, 22:54:40 by spiros »

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Ηi there.

Here is a literal translation:

Κάθε τι που δεν καταφέρνει να σε σκοτώσει, απλώς σε κάνει πιο δυνατό.

or

Ό,τι δεν καταφέρνει να σε σκοτώσει, απλώς σε κάνει πιο δυνατό.
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

hollyitlod

• Semi-Newbie
are they the greek equivalents of the proverb? because i would like that. i'll use whicever looks prettiest.
again, thanks a million!!

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
What Spiros and I suggested is almost the same.

- Ό,τι δεν σε σκοτώνει, απλώς σε κάνει πιο δυνατό -

is the exact translation of the English phrase.
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

diceman

• Talk less, say more.
One of Friedrich Nietzsche's most known maxims. Since you're going for a tattoo, you should aim for brevity, i.e.  Spiros' suggestion: Ό,τι δεν σε σκοτώνει σε κάνει πιο δυνατό.

Keep well.
Βασίλης Μπαμπούρης
meta|φραση School of Translation Studies

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Aphorism 8, Twilight of the Idols

Out of life's school of war: What does not destroy me, makes me stronger.

(Από τη σχολή του πολέμου της ζωής - Ό,τι δεν με καταστρέφει με κάνει πιο δυνατό.)

Which in fact is "influenced" by Aulus Gellius':

Increscunt animi, virescit volnere virtus.

["The spirits increase, vigor grows through a wound." 2d cent. Roman author, Aulus Gellius: Noctes Atticae, XVIII, XI, IV ("Attic Nights").]

It is mentioned in the Prologue of the Twilight of the Idols and for some reason Nietzsche does not reveal the author.

xanthe

• Semi-Newbie
Ό,τι δεν σε σκοτώνει σε κάνει πιο δυνατό.

I hope that its okay for me to post this here. I didn't see a rule against bumping older posts (unless I over looked it, which is possible). But what is the translated into english? I wanted the 'what does not destory me' version, but I didn't want to ask for a trasnlation (and I hope I'm not asking too much! I know it said to contribute something, but I don't know any Greek and most of the board is in Greek lol).

billberg23

• Words ail me.
The original statement is by the 19th-century German philosopher Friedrich Neitzsche:  "Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker."  In English:  "What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger."

Leon

I hope that its okay for me to post this here. I didn't see a rule against bumping older posts (unless I over looked it, which is possible). But what is the translated into english? I wanted the 'what does not destory me' version, but I didn't want to ask for a trasnlation (and I hope I'm not asking too much! I know it said to contribute something, but I don't know any Greek and most of the board is in Greek lol).

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think you mean this:

Ο,τι δεν με καταστρέφει με κάνει πιο δυνατό (What doesn't destroy me makes me stronger)

or perhaps

Ό,τι δεν σε καταστρέφει σε κάνει πιο δυνατό (What doesn't destroy you makes you stronger)

Please note that if you would sooner the former and you are female, the final word δυνατό must change to δυνατή.
«Όποιος ελεύθερα συλλογάται συλλογάται καλά»
- Ρήγας Φερραίος

GinGin

Hi there,

I would prefer Spiros's suggestion. It has more rythm, it is dense and precise.

όπως στο τραγούδι!

Search Tools