Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257063

Bedhead

• Semi-Newbie
Thanks alot for your help and suggestion I will look into getting it done in chinese, and yes its confucius. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar, 2007, 22:48:58 by Bedhead »

Bedhead

• Semi-Newbie
I think I am kinda going over board with the extremely nice service you guys are doing for all of us, but i just cant help myself this is the only site i found that can give accurate ancient greek for different phrases/quotes. So the quotes or words I would like to have in ancient greek are, "unopposed"---Tacitus (nullo adversante?) and "Let them hate, as long as they fear"---Accius (Oderint dum metuat?) Thank you. 

billberg23

• Words ail me.
So the quotes or words I would like to have in ancient greek are, "unopposed"---Tacitus (nullo adversante?) and "Let them hate, as long as they fear"---Accius (Oderint dum metuat?) . 
1.  OYΔΕΝΟΣ ΑΝΤΕΙΠΟΝΤΟΣ  οὐδενὸς ἀντειπόντος
2.  ΜΙΣΟΙΕΝ ΟΣΟΝΠΕΡ ΦΟΒΟΥΝΤΑΙ  μισοῖεν ὄσονπερ φοβοῦνται

jglenis

"Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth"

Hello, about this sentence, I'd like to ask apart from translating it how you understand it. I see two options: 1. "Give me land/work and I will be able to make a change in this world," which could be attributed to Confucius and 2. "what Archimedes is reputed to have said when he discovered the lever." Let me add at this point that having asked a friend to look through some quotations by Confucius (in Traditional Chinese), there was nothing of the kind to be found. So, I wonder if after all it was Archimedes the person who said that. 
Life is like a grammar lesson. You find the past perfect and the present tense.

banned8

John, the above saying is by Archimedes and has been translated. It's the other saying ("Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall") that is attributed to Confucius, though I haven't seen anything like it in his Analects.

G0nZ0

• Semi-Newbie
Hi all, Im looking for an acurate ancient greek translation for "ares god of war"

I hope you can help.

Thanks
:)

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Hi all, Im looking for an acurate ancient greek translation for "ares god of war"
ΑΡΗΣ Ο ΘΕΟΣ ΤΟΥ ΠΟΛΕΜΟΥ
Lower case: Ἄρης ὁ θεὸς τοῦ πολέμου

-1398-

• Semi-Newbie
Ok first off I have to say this is going to help alot.  I've been wanting a tattoo for a while and finally decided on at least getting a phrase in greek.  I wish i could ask my grandmother how to translate this but she is against tattoo's altogether and wouldn't do it for me. Also I was considering splitting the phrase into two parts where the divider is, would it still read the same?  Again thank you!

jglenis

"Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth"

John, the above saying is by Archimedes and has been translated. It's the other saying ("Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall") that is attributed to Confucius, though I haven't seen anything like it in his Analects.

That would make indeed much more sense - also, I would agree with you that the other one you mention, attributed to Confucius, is not to be found in his Analects (in Chinese). Rather, online there is a literal translation (I was told) from English (我们最大的光荣并不在于永不跌倒,而在于每次跌倒后能起来) and a more idiomatic expression (人生的光荣,不在永不失败,而在能屡败屡起) that would translate: "the glory in life is not to be failure for ever but to rise every time we fall."
That is all, just for the record - I hope I didn't disorientate this very interesting indeed thread.
Life is like a grammar lesson. You find the past perfect and the present tense.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I wish i could ask my grandmother how to translate this but she is against tattoo's altogether and wouldn't do it for me. Also I was considering splitting the phrase into two parts where the divider is, would it still read the same?
Looks like you've been bounced from English-Greek over here to ancient Greek, maybe only because you want a tattoo, and most tattoos want to be in ancient Greek.  But I have the impression that you'd prefer your grandmother's Greek to the Greek of your remote ancestors in antiquity. You've been patient, and I'll try to help you, though I'm only a pseudellenophone.  The true hellenophones will be quick to fix it if it's wrong ...

Ο,ΤΙ ΚΑΝΟΥΜΕ ΣΤΗ ΖΩΗ ΜΑΣ / ΑΝΤΗΧΕΙ ΣΤΗΝ ΑΙΩΝΙΟΤΗΤΑ
Lower case:  Ό,τι κάνουμε στη ζωή μας / αντηχεί στην αιωνιότητα

Yes, the divider works the same way with the Greek.

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Ο,ΤΙ ΚΑΝΟΥΜΕ ΣΤΗ ΖΩΗ ΜΑΣ / ΑΝΤΗΧΕΙ ΣΤΗΝ ΑΙΩΝΙΟΤΗΤΑ
Lower case:  Ό,τι κάνουμε στη ζωή μας / αντηχεί στην αιωνιότητα

Yes, Bill. You are right. All tattoo questions are to be answered in this thread.

Your translation sounds fine to me.
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Yes, Bill. You are right. All tattoo questions are to be answered in this thread.

Your translation sounds fine to me.
Thanks, wings, for the info;  and for adding the accent to the O.  Live and learn!  I just hope 1398 can find his/her message in its new location.

-1398-

• Semi-Newbie
Thanks, wings, for the info;  and for adding the accent to the O.  Live and learn!  I just hope 1398 can find his/her message in its new location.

I found it....thanks!

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
I found it....thanks!

Great!

Bill, usually members are automatically directed to the new thread. :-)
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

inky

• Semi-Newbie
Hello,

I have recently read a quote by Thucydides which has been translated as 'Happiness depends on being free, and freedom depends on being courageous'. I know that this is not a perfect translation however, so what would have been the equivalent? (does anyone know what text it is from?)

Many thanks :)

Search Tools