Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257003

jack597

Nickel and Billberg,
Thank you so much for your guidance and assistance.  I only wish that I could return the favor  somehow.  Like others who have posted on this site, I am 100 percent Greek however growing up I really didn't take the time to appreciate my heritage.  Both of my papou's were from Sparta.  Now I'm 39 years old and I am considering getting a tattoo, something I never thought I would do.  I want to get something that pays homage to my roots, and also incorporates the name of my two children Alexandra and Christopher.  I will post a pic of my tattoo when it is completed.  This forum is the best.

Thank you again,
Chris

hmwayte

• Semi-Newbie
Hi! You helped me out last month with the text for my tattoo and I promised a photo once I'd had it done, so here you are:

It's not a very clear photo - the lettering is nowhere near as thick as it appears but I can't manage to take a photo with one hand without blurring it hehe. Thanks a lot for your help (=

banned8

Good job! And thanks for keeping your promise.

Kamelen

• Semi-Newbie
this is for a tattoo. the r.i.p.  as in Rest In Peace

Kamelen

• Semi-Newbie
with love translated into ancient greek
« Last Edit: 18 Apr, 2007, 11:27:06 by wings »

Kamelen

• Semi-Newbie
" I Miss and Love You Dad" to ancient greek
« Last Edit: 18 Apr, 2007, 11:27:41 by wings »

Kamelen

• Semi-Newbie
"Forever With ME in My Heart" to ancient Greek
« Last Edit: 18 Apr, 2007, 11:28:16 by wings »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
First, please accept our sincere condolences on your loss.
"Requiescat in pace" (R.I.P.) probably has a kindred expression in the Orthodox church.  Until someone informs us of a Greek equivalent, here is an almost literal interpretation in ancient Greek:
Ἀναπαύου, ἄππα, ἐν εἰρήνῃ

billberg23

• Words ail me.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Αncient Greek wouldn't have put it just that way.  It may be better to render the thought as ἡ ἀγάπη μου ("my love") or ἀγαπητός ("beloved," i.e., your father).

InHocSignoVinces

• Semi-Newbie
Hey all,

I was hoping to find some help for a translation for a tattoo I am wanting to get. I would like to get a couple of things translated if you could help me out.

the first one I would like is "God is Love" the phrase which appears in 1 John 4:8. I have a translation of it already, but I am not all together confident that it is correct.

the second word I would like translated is the word "humble" or "humility" again a Biblical allusion from the teaching of Jesus in Matthew and the apostle Paul's writings to the Church at Ephesus.

If I could get some feedback on this that would be awesome.

-IHSV

treandafilia

• Eις μνήμην της Treandafilia Groves (1841-1875)
1 John 4:8

ο μη αγαπών ουκ έγνω τον Θεόν, ότι ο Θεός αγάπη εστίν (New Testament Greek)

whoever is without love does not know God, for God is love.

humble = ταπεινός (masculine version of adjective), humility = ταπεινότητα (Modern Greek)
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

billberg23

• Words ail me.
humble = ταπεινός (masculine version of adjective), humility = ταπεινότητα (Modern Greek)
And ancient Greek is almost the same.  Humble = ταπεινός masculine, ταπεινή feminine.
Humility = ἡ ταπεινότης.

kim

ΠΑΡΙΣΤΑΣΘΑΙ ΜΟΙ ΔΙΑΠΑΝΤΟΣ, ΕΩΣ ΑΝ ΝΩΪ ΘΑΝΑΤΟΣ ΔΙΑΙΡΗΙ
Lower case:  παρίστασθαί μοι διαπαντός, ?ως ?ν ν?ϊ θάνατος διαιρ?

Btw, Kim, the English is "till death do us part," = "till death parts us."

Hi Billberg23,

I was going throught the forum, and i found another translation for "Always by my side". Is quite different from what you translated for me.

Always by my side = Πάντα δίπλα μου (Literally "Always next to me")

I'm totally clueless about greek words. Just need to clarify and make sure before i ink it on my arm.
Sorry for the trouble.

Search Tools