No greek font (alpha theta omega alpha)

Guest · 6 · 5977

AJ

The original phrase I had to translate was:  (alpha theta omega alpha) (upsilon epsilon mu alpha tau alpha). There are accents (slanting up from low left to high right) over the omega and epsilon.

The translation I have for the second word is: bull.

This is the title of a romance novel, if that helps. Thanks to anyone who can help me! (It's sheer curiosity on my part...I wrote the book and just got the Greek version in the mail and I always love finding out how the title has been changed.)
AJ

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Hi AJ.

I am afraid your second Greek word is absolutely mispelt. There is no word like "υέματα" (it can start either by "theta+eta" or "theta+ypsilon").

The first one is definitely the word "αθώα" = innocent

The second word can either be "θέματα" = themes, subjects

or "θύματα" (with ypsilon) = victims

Which make either the phrase "innocent themes" or "innocent victims". The second one sounds more possible to me. :-)

All the best,

Vicky
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

AJ

Hmmm, maybe it's not an upsilon? I may be unused to the capital letters...on the cover of the book, the second word starts with a letter that looks to me like a formalized saguaro cactus. Or a 'u' with a line through it. The rest of the word is definitely an epsilon mu alpha tau alpha.

Y'all are fast to respond on this board, which is satisfying to an instant gratification fiend like me. If I could step out of work for ten minutes, I'd be in the basement of the Borders across the street trying to fumble my way through a Greek-Eng. dictionary...
Thanks for the help you've already given me!
AJ

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
You are always welcome here.

Then the second word is definitely "θέματα" = themes.

Vicky
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

AJ

"Innocent Themes"

Hmm, not as racy as the Spanish version "Anything for the Boss" or the German "One Hot Moment", but I'm glad to know what it says!

Thanks again!

σα(ρε)μαλι

• Σταβανγκεριανό μου έαρ
Judging from your description, it could also be Ψέματα=Lies. It seems to me quite suitable for a romance novel.
I can live everywhere in the world, but it must be near an airport -and a pharmacy, I would add.

Δεν είναι ο ύπνος της λογικής που γεννάει τέρατα, αλλά ο άγρυπνος ορθολογισμός που πάσχει από αϋπνίες.

Search Tools