Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257029

ecusmitty

• Semi-Newbie
I want to get a new tattoo with Greek writing but I am 100% sure of my transliteration since I am so new Greek. Could someone please help me if I have made a mistake!! Thank you and God Bless!

English: Love the Lord with all your mind hear and soul
Greek: Έρωτας ανά ο Παντοδύναμος όλος κι' όλος υμέτερος διάνοια, ψυχή (?????)

billberg23

• Words ail me.
so the 'δεσμὸς οὐδέποτε ῥηκτός' is the best translation as it stresses on the 'never'?
Nickel's suggestion has the advantage of being a direct quote from ancient Greek (Homer).  You might want to consider the "never" part to be superfluous, since something that's unbroken or unbreakable (ἄρρηκτος) is presumably always unbroken/unbreakable.

Or, if you still feel like stressing the lack of time limits, you can insert the word for "always," thus:  δεσμὸς ἄρρηκτος ἀεί.

is there any chance anyone could put it into other types of fonts?
Nickel may have time to help you with this.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct, 2007, 16:55:09 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
The original Greek of Matthew 22:37 reads as follows:

Ἀγαπήσεις Κύριον τὸν Θεόν σου ἐν ὅλῃ τῇ καρδίᾳ σου καὶ ἐν ὅλῃ τῇ ψυχῇ σου καὶ ἐν ὅλῃ τῇ διανοίᾳ σου.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct, 2007, 21:05:01 by billberg23 »

antegeia

• Lucky
The original Greek of Matthew 22:37 reads as follows:

Ἀγαπήσεις κύριον τὸν θεὸν σου ἐν ὃλῃ καρδίᾳ σου καὶ ἐν ὃλῃ τῇ ψυχῇ σου καὶ ἐν ὃλῃ τῇ διανοίᾳ σου.

Εεεεε συγγνώμην που επεμβαίνω (δεν κατάλαβα άλλωστε τί κάνετε εδώ πέρα), αλλά η φράση έχει μερικά λαθάκια, αν μου επιτρέπετε...

τό "Κύριον" καί τό "Θεόν" θέλουν όπως καί δήποτε κεφαλαία. τό "Θεόν σου" δε θέλει βαρεία αλλά οξεία. Πρίν το "καρδίᾳ" θέλει κι ένα "τῇ".  Τό "ὅλῃ" δε θέλει δασεία βαρεία αλλά δασεία οξεία....

Τές πα, όλο μαζί: Ἀγαπήσεις Κύριον τὸν Θεόν σου ἐν ὅλῃ τῇ καρδίᾳ σου καὶ ἐν ὅλῃ τῇ ψυχῇ σου καὶ ὅλῃ τῇ διανοίᾳ σου.
Πιό γρήγορα κι ἀπ' τή σκιά μου...

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.  Και τα μάτια γηράσκουν.
Τα 'χω διορθώσει.  Ευχαριστώ, antegeia!

Kristin

• Semi-Newbie
with (or having) a love founded in faith

an example would be the word used in Titus 3:15.  Could this be used to describe a husband and wife?

And what would the greek translation be? phileo en piotei or something like that?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
with (or having) a love founded in faith
an example would be the word used in Titus 3:15.  Could this be used to describe a husband and wife?
And what would the greek translation be? phileo en piotei or something like that?
Paul's original Greek in Titus 3:15 reads τούς φιλοῦντας ἡμᾶς ἐν πίστει — "those who have affection for us in faith."  When it comes to describing the relationship between husbands and wives (Ephesians 5:21-33), Paul uses the word ἀγαπᾶν, "to love."  We'd be happy to give you the original Greek of anything that appeals to you in that chapter of Ephesians.
« Last Edit: 23 Oct, 2007, 12:54:14 by billberg23 »

Kristin

• Semi-Newbie
filostorgoz is the word that describes mutual love between husband and wife, or parents to children correct? 

what exactly does this mean? filew en piotei

my husband and i want to get tattoos that represent our love for one another through Christ.  Any suggestions in that regard?
thank you so much for your help!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
filostorgoz is the word that describes mutual love between husband and wife, or parents to children correct? 
Φιλόστοργος means "tenderly affectionate," and is applied to family members, members of the community (as in Romans 12:10), etc.  I've never seen it applied specifically to a married couple. 

what exactly does this mean? filew en piotei
"I have affection (for someone) in (the) faith."

my husband and i want to get tattoos that represent our love for one another through Christ.  Any suggestions in that regard?
Paul leads into his discussion of marriage with the words ὐποτασσόμενοι ἀλλήλοις ἐν φόβῳ Χριστοῦ — "subjecting yourselves to each other in fear of Christ" (Ephesians 5:21).  So you might say ἀγαπῶντες ἀλλήλους ἐν φόβῳ Χριστοῦ ("loving each other in fear of Christ"), or, if you feel that's too strong, simply ἀγαπῶντες ἀλλήλους ἐν Χριστῷ ("loving each other in Christ").
« Last Edit: 23 Oct, 2007, 20:58:30 by billberg23 »

melanie

Metis - Sovereign Female Wisdom, She Destroys in Order to Recreate Balance.

I really am not sure how much of this can be translated into Ancient Greek. 

Thank you !

Melanie

If we opened our minds to enjoyment, we might find tranquil pleasures spread about us on every side.  We might live with the angels that visit us on every sunbeam, and sit with the fairies who wait on every flower.

cyberlife

• Semi-Newbie
hello! i wanted to get a tattoo that says "through His eyes" in anceint greek! can anyone help?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Metis - Sovereign Female Wisdom, She Destroys in Order to Recreate Balance.
Let's give it an Aeschylean twist:

Μῆτις ἥ τε σοφία γυναικόβουλος παντελὴς καὶ διαφθορὰ πρὸς ἀποκατάστασιν ἰσορρεπῆ.

Literally:  "Metis, sovereign woman-devised wisdom and destruction for/toward balanced reconstitution."
« Last Edit: 25 Oct, 2007, 05:20:31 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
hello! i wanted to get a tattoo that says "through His eyes" in anceint greek! can anyone help?
Ancient Greek would say "with (=by means of) His eyes":

ΤΟΙΣ  ΟΦΘΑΛΜΟΙΣ  ΑΥΤΟΥ
(τοῖς ὀφθαλμοῖς αὐτοῦ)

melanie

Let's give it an Aeschylean twist:

Μῆτις ἥ τε σοφία γυναικόβουλος παντελὴς καὶ διαφθορὰ πρὸς ἀποκατάστασιν ἰσορρεπῆ.

Literally:  "Metis, sovereign woman-devised wisdom and destruction for/toward balanced reconstitution."

Billberg23....

Brilliant!  Thank you.
If we opened our minds to enjoyment, we might find tranquil pleasures spread about us on every side.  We might live with the angels that visit us on every sunbeam, and sit with the fairies who wait on every flower.

Search Tools