Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257068

Timothy

After reading 70 pages of posts on this website I am extremely impressed by those who regular it and provide so much insight, advice, and assistance. 

The posts here have me wondering about my own name.  I am of Greek descent; second generation American.  My name is Timothy Andrew Kanelopoulos.  When it comes to translating my first and middle(from Greek Andreas) name are the Ancient Greek spellings used in modern times because they are of biblical origin? 

When the last name is translated is it a transliteration because it is Americanized?  I know that my grandfather's last name was Kanelos before coming to America and I've always wondered why it was lengthened.   I'd be interested in seeing the spellings of my entire name.  Thanks for reading! :)

banned8

Hi, Tim.

Both Timothy (Τιμόθεος, honouring God or honoured by God) and Andrew (Ανδρέας, from aner, gen. andros = man, andreia = valour) are names of Greek origin, and Greek names appear to have been common among the Jews from the second or third century B.C. (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01471a.htm).

Kanellos (Κανέλλος) used to be a common Greek name and surname, Kanellopoulos (Κανελλόπουλος) is a surname and means "Kanellos's son". We even had a prime minister by that surname. I presume the name is related to κανέλλα (the word for cinnamon).

So your full name would be written: Τιμόθεος Ανδρέας Κανελλόπουλος.

KatieB

• Semi-Newbie
hi, i  was wondering if you could help me?

i am wanting a tattoo personal to me that not many people have, well the people i will come across! my name is Katie and understand it is of greek origin meaning 'pure'. I was wondering whether you could translate 'she who is pure' into anciant greek...

i would very much appreciate it and looking through the other posts it appears to me that you have a great knowledge and understanding of the language, that will give me the best chance of having an accurate translation.

thanks so much, Katie

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I was wondering whether you could translate 'she who is pure' into anciant greek...
ἡ καθαρά                               Upper case:  Η ΚΑΘΑΡΑ

KatieB

• Semi-Newbie
Thankyou!

is that actually 'she who is pure' or is it a similar phrase meaning the same thing? and how do you pronounce that?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Thankyou!

is that actually 'she who is pure' or is it a similar phrase meaning the same thing? and how do you pronounce that?
It means literally "The Pure One (feminine),"  and it's really the only way to say "She who is pure" in ancient Greek.

Pronunciation:  ee kah-thah-rah, with accent on the final syllable.     
« Last Edit: 19 Jun, 2007, 05:46:57 by billberg23 »

KatieB

• Semi-Newbie

Kergie

• Semi-Newbie
I am looking for a translation of the word: story as in history.

I looked up the greek translation and it is this: Ιστορία

But I'd like to know what that word is written out in English...the English form of the word, like Doxazo Theon means "I praise God"...I'm pretty sure.

I hope this all makes sense : )

Thanks!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I am looking for a translation of the word: story as in history.

I looked up the greek translation and it is this: Ιστορία

But I'd like to know what that word is written out in English...the English form of the word, like Doxazo Theon means "I praise God"...I'm pretty sure.
If we're talking about ancient Greek, the word ἱστορία originally meant "research."  Herodotus, the first historian, presented the results of his "research" as a vast panorama of human events covering a very long period of time. In later ages, people came to call any such "Herodotean" account "history," so the original meaning of the word was obscured.

A "story," by contrast, was called a λόγος, if it was based on real experience, or a μῦθος, if it wasn't.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun, 2007, 06:56:18 by billberg23 »

banned8

But I'd like to know what that word is written out in English... the English form of the word, like Doxazo Theon means "I praise God"...

ἱστορία written in English is HISTORIA, if that's what you're looking for.

scw

• Semi-Newbie
I would like to get either grace or agape as a tattoo in Greek . Could you help me with the Greek text? thank you.

scw

• Semi-Newbie
I am also hoping to get a greek tattoo of either: agape or grace. Could you please translate those words into greek text for me. thank you!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I am also hoping to get a greek tattoo of either: agape or grace. Could you please translate those words into greek text for me. thank you!
ἀγάπη    ΑΓΑΠΗ     (LOVE)

χάρις      ΧΑΡΙΣ      (GRACE)

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Grace = Χάρις

Love = Αγάπη
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

Kergie

• Semi-Newbie

A "story," by contrast, was called a λόγος, if it was based on real experience, or a μῦθος, if it wasn't.

So what would these be written in English?

Search Tools