Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1147017

Seikilos

• Semi-Newbie
Which line will you choose?

"Don't suffer anything at all"--or rather, to use a more poignant translation I found somewhere else, "Let nothing grieve you beyond measure." A near-vanished sun will cast its rays over a wild garden where vines and roses have mostly overgrown a few human skulls, as well as a laughing mask cracked in half. Everything will be black and white, except where the sun's rays fall. The words will appear on a banner, probably toward the bottom of the garden.

Thanks for your help.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"Don't suffer anything at all"--or rather, to use a more poignant translation I found somewhere else, "Let nothing grieve you beyond measure." A near-vanished sun will cast its rays over a wild garden where vines and roses have mostly overgrown a few human skulls, as well as a laughing mask cracked in half. Everything will be black and white, except where the sun's rays fall. The words will appear on a banner, probably toward the bottom of the garden.
Amazing.  Please send us a photo as soon as the swelling has gone down.

athenajm

• Semi-Newbie
Hi, please can someone help me with a tattoo idea? I would like to get Nikos Kazantzakis's epitaph tattooed on my arm or a quote from Plutarch, but I can't seem to get it in a font suitable for a tattoo. I've read a lot of this thread and have seen that some people on here can put things into a litho gif or jpg so please would somebody be able to do that for Δεν ελπίζω τίποτα. Δε φοβούμαι τίποτα. Είμαι λεύτερος    and   Γηράσκω δ’ αιεί πολλά διδασκόμενος

Thanks for your help!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I would like to get Nikos Kazantzakis's epitaph tattooed on my arm or a quote from Plutarch
For the famous statement of Solon the Athenian (quoted by Plutarch), see https://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=28519.0.  Perhaps our Fontmaster will be along soon to help you with the Lithos font, which is appropriate only for ancient Greek.

Not so Kazantzakis, however.  Here's a photo of his actual tombstone, which reproduces Kazantzakis' own handwriting.  Maybe your tattooist can follow it:

athenajm

• Semi-Newbie
Thanks for your reply, I think I'm going to go with the epitaph, hopefully in 2 days time it'll be done!

One last thing, could somebody please write how you prnounce the whole quote if that's not too much to ask?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Thanks for your reply, I think I'm going to go with the epitaph, hopefully in 2 days time it'll be done!
One last thing, could somebody please write how you prnounce the whole quote if that's not too much to ask?
(Pronounce th as in "then.")
then el-pee-zo tee-po-tah
theh fo-voo-meh tee-po-tah
ee-meh leff-teh-rohss
« Last Edit: 09 Jul, 2010, 00:42:18 by billberg23 »

jap7t8

• Semi-Newbie
Hello There,

I have had my eye on this thread for awhile looking for some inspiration for my next tattoo.  You all have done a great job helping people translate exactly what they are looking for.  I was wondering if you might help out a newcomer like myself?

I am looking for "like a phoenix from it's ashes" and "from my ashes, I rise" in a few different font options for a tattoo (I am male if that makes a difference).  I have found the translation on other threads, but they did not include any font options.  Also, if you could please help me out with the pronunciation, that would be great too!

Thanks in advance!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I am looking for "like a phoenix from it's ashes" and "from my ashes, I rise" in a few different font options for a tattoo (I am male if that makes a difference).
See https://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=309.2010 (Reply # 2018).  Our Fontmaster may be along soon to help you with the font.

jap7t8

• Semi-Newbie
See https://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=309.2010 (Reply # 2018).  Our Fontmaster may be along soon to help you with the font.

Thanks!  I look forward to hearing from the fontmaster!

looky_man1

• Semi-Newbie
Hello! I am going to get a tattoo just like the majority of people on this site. I would like to get "Never Fear" in ancient greek. I know that it cannot be translated into modern greek due to the difference in tenses or something (not completely sure). Also, is there more than one type of ancient greek language? I've been told attic is good, but are there any other types? Options would be nice! Help is greatly appreciated.

looky_man1

• Semi-Newbie
I have read some other posts and understand completely that I have NO knowledge what-so-ever about Greek histroy or the language pertaining to the development of the language...I'm a medical student aha...just incase anyone directs me otherwise to another post.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I am going to get a tattoo just like the majority of people on this site. I would like to get "Never Fear" in ancient greek.
Your request will soon be transferred to the appropriate thread:  Tattoos and Ancient Greek (top of page).

Of course you can say this in modern Greek!  Mείνε ήσυχος is one obvious free translation, Ποτέ μην φοβάσαι is a bit more literal. and I'm sure there are other options.

There were, and still are, many different dialects (not "types") of Greek, but in ancient times generally μήποτε φοβοῦ (singular) or μήποτε φοβεῖσθε (plural) would be understood by all to mean "Never fear."  It's certainly valid for the Attic dialect of Greek, which is only considered "good" because so many great works of literature were produced by Athenians who grew up speaking it.

« Last Edit: 11 Jul, 2010, 07:59:48 by billberg23 »

Niknak1989

• Semi-Newbie
Heyy :)

I was just wondering how to translate palios into ancient greek anddd also Dad & Mum many thanks :) xx

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I was just wondering how to translate palios into ancient greek
Do you mean the Greek adjective meaning "old"?  Its ancient form is παλαιός.
As for your second request ("Dad & Mum"), that needs to be made in a separate post (see "Rules":  click at top of page).

Search Tools