μισεῖ (Luke 14: 26)

bob144 · 5 · 4481

bob144

In Luke 14:26 Christ uses the word hate (miseo) In ancient Greek is there a word for like or only words for love and hate and does anyone know how this word was used contextually back then, thanks Bob
« Last Edit: 11 Sep, 2007, 17:56:23 by wings »

user10

Εἴ τις ἔρχεται πρός με καὶ οὐ μισεῖ τὸν πατέρα ἑαυτοῦ καὶ τὴν μητέρα καὶ τὴν γυναῖκα καὶ τὰ τέκνα καὶ τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς καὶ τὰς ἀδελφάς, ἔτι δὲ καὶ τὴν ἑαυτοῦ ψυχὴν, οὐ δύναταί μου μαθητής εἶναι.

The verse you were looking for in the original text. As for the words for like, love and hate in ancient/ biblical Greek, you must wait for someone else who knows more about this than I do to answer your question!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Bob, φιλεῖν (basically, "to have a liking for") is related to the noun φίλος, "friend," and denotes a feeling of comradeship and/or shared interests.  The verb ἀγαπᾶν ("to love") denotes a feeling of deep affection, such as that between members of the same family.  In the New Testament, it is contrasted sharply with its opposite, μισεῖν, in Matthew 5.43:

Ἠκούσατε ὅτι ἐρρέθη, Ἀγαπήσεις τὸν πλησίον σου καὶ μισήσεις τὸν ἐχθρόν σου.  Ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὐμῶν καὶ προσεύχεσθε ὑπὲρ τῶν διωκόντων ὑμᾶς.

"You have heard it said — you will love the one closest to you and you will hate your enemy.  But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."
« Last Edit: 11 Sep, 2007, 19:33:59 by billberg23 »

bob144

Thanks kindly to both posts: If  μισεῖ  is translated into English today as hate, is there a more complex meaning in ancient Greek for this word, as you can see that Christ's teaching were to love thy enemy, the use of hate in this phrase for the family members must have a context that was lost in translation

billberg23

• Words ail me.
According to all the dictionaries and etymologists, μισεῖν means hate and nothing but hate, in this context and throughout the history of the language.
It may ease your concern to recall that shock and paradox were an important part of Jesus' rhetorical technique.  See the Gospel of Thomas for many more examples.

Search Tools