ἀλλὰ τῆς μὲν ἀσφαλείας ἕνεκα ἐμοὶ δεῖ τοῦτον τελευτᾶν τὸν παῖδα, δεῖ μέντοι τινὰ τῶν τοῦ Ἀστυάγους αὐτοῦ φονέᾱ γενέσθαι καὶ μὴ

jmorsay

"ἀλλα τῆς μὲν ἀσφακείας ἕνεκα ἐμοὶ δεῖ τοῦτον τελευτᾶν τὸν παῖδα, δεῖ μέντοι τινά τῶν τοῦ Ἀστυάγους αὐτοῦ φονέᾱ γενέσθαι καὶ μὴ τῶν ἐμῶν."

My translation: "But for the sake of secruity the child is dying through me, surely one should be a murderer of the men of Astuages himself but not a murderer of my men."

Questions
1.Does "μὴ τῶν ἐμῶν" have the same position in the sentence as "τῶν τοῦ Ἀστυάγους αὐτοῦ"?
2. Does "δεῖ μέντοι" have a special meaning?
3. Is this correct?

Thank you
« Last Edit: 05 Jun, 2011, 17:57:24 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Careful when copying the text, JM:  ἀσφακεία is almost a word!  (-:
Your questions:
1. τινὰ τῶν τοῦ Ἀστυάγους and (τινὰ) τῶν ἐμῶν are parallel expressions:  "one of Astyages' men" (and not) "one of my men" (needs to become his murderer).
2. μέντοι, "however," goes with the whole phrase, not just with δεῖ, which goes with γενέσθαι:  "it is necessary for ... to become" (his murderer).  Note that  δεῖ is an impersonal verb, followed by an infinitive with its subject in the accusative case.  
3. Not this time.  Try again!
« Last Edit: 03 Jun, 2011, 16:22:08 by billberg23 »

jmorsay

My new translation: For the sake of secruity the child is going to die through me, it is necessary for one of Astyages' relatives and not my relatives to become his murderer.

Is this better?

thank you

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Note that  δεῖ is an impersonal verb, followed by an infinitive with its subject in the accusative case.
And that goes for the first clause, too, JM:  "But for the sake of security for me (= for the sake of my own security), it is necessary for that child to die ..."
μέντοι = "however."
« Last Edit: 03 Jun, 2011, 04:15:42 by billberg23 »

Search Tools