Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257018

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I apologize i wrote it wrong what i meant to put is "Where i am always thou art, Thy image lives within' my heart.
Just substitute ὦ for πορευθῶ, and you're O.K.

bmoses425

• Semi-Newbie
Just substitute ὦ for πορευθῶ, and you're O.K.
sorry don't mean to be annoying but how exactly does that translate? does it say "where i am always thou art, thy image lives within my heart" or does it say it different?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
If you need to make "always" explicit, substitute ἀεὶ for ἐγὼ.  Then you'll have literally "Always, wherever I am, there thou art also, for thy image lives within my soul."  Greek and English idioms are of course quite different, so we can't translate you word-for-word.  BTW, too bad you changed your mind on "Whither I go" — it sounded quite biblical!  But I suppose you're quoting a song or something.

bmoses425

• Semi-Newbie
If you need to make "always" explicit, substitute ἀεὶ for ἐγὼ.  Then you'll have literally "Always, wherever I am, there thou art also, for thy image lives within my soul."  Greek and English idioms are of course quite different, so we can't translate you word-for-word.  BTW, too bad you changed your mind on "Whither I go" — it sounded quite biblical!  But I suppose you're quoting a song or something.
Thank you so much you have been a huge help. And actually i'm glad you said "whither i go" sounded better. it's not from a song or anything and i think i do like that better.
Thank you again.

afghanimax26

• Semi-Newbie
Hello - what a wonderful site!

I am considering getting a tattoo in memory of some of my greek family. I haven't really seen any translations that match what I'm looking for...I found GIA PANTA (forever I'm pretty sure) which is a start.

I was thinking about something along the lines of "in her memory" or "always remember" or "never forgotten"

I'm not really sure if one would make more sense in greek or not, but I am looking for something along these lines. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance

-Max

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I was thinking about something along the lines of "in her memory" or "always remember" or "never forgotten"
"In her memory" would be

Στη μνήμη της                (ΣΤΗ ΜΝΗΜΗ ΤΗΣ) 

We'll hope the true hellenophones here will contribute similar expressions.

oberonsghost

Would anyone be able to put"ΗΓΕΙΣΘΩ Ο ΔΑΙΜΩΝ" in Lithos Pro for me?

Sorry for the delay....summer holidays....:)

Πουλιὰ τὸ βάρος τῆς καρδιᾶς μας ψυλὰ μηδενίζοντας καὶ πολὺ γαλάζιο ποὺ ἀγαπήσαμε!  (Ἐλύτης)

jay1981

• Semi-Newbie

GiH

• Semi-Newbie
hi everyone ;) as you can see I'm a new forum member, but I've been a fan of your work for a long time :)
alright, as you can guess, I need your help for a translation:
"From my ashes, I rise"    ....the metaphore is obviously referred to phoenix :)
a few...hundreds..pages ago i found the translation: " ΕΚ ΤΗΣ ΚΟΝΕΩΣ ΜΟΥ ΑΝΑΓΕΝΝΩΜΑΙ " ... is it right? :)
oh...the last thing...can you write the translation either in lower case and in upper case? thank you very much!! :)

billberg23

• Words ail me.
a few...hundreds..pages ago i found the translation: " ΕΚ ΤΗΣ ΚΟΝΕΩΣ ΜΟΥ ΑΝΑΓΕΝΝΩΜΑΙ " ... is it right? :)
oh...the last thing...can you write the translation either in lower case and in upper case? thank you very much!! :)
Yep, that's it:  motto of the Sacred Band that kicked off the Greek revolution back in 1821.  In lower case, it's
                Ἐκ τῆς κόνεώς μου ἀναγεννῶμαι

GiH

• Semi-Newbie
oh thank you very much, i didn't know the story about it! thank you again :)

yspanos

• Semi-Newbie
hi
i would like to get two tattoos one saying "CHIOS" in ancient greek.
and the other "greek" in ancient greek.
any help please

billberg23

• Words ail me.
i would like to get two tattoos one saying "CHIOS" in ancient greek.
and the other "greek" in ancient greek.
ΧΙΟΣ in upper case.
The noun ΕΛΛΗΝ (Ἕλλην) refers to a male person who is Greek.  Is this what you want?
Please don't post the same request in more than one thread (read THE RULES, click at top of page).

Ihsahn0616

• Semi-Newbie
Hello there!

I was wondering if I could have this quote translated into ancient Greek.

"It is better by noble boldness to run the risk of being subject to half the evils we anticipate than to remain in cowardly listlessness for fear of what might happen." -Herodotus

Thank you so much!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"It is better by noble boldness to run the risk of being subject to half the evils we anticipate than to remain in cowardly listlessness for fear of what might happen." -Herodotus
Αs you see when you read The Rules (click at top of page), free translations are limited to 12 words.  Anyway, why ask to have this quotation translated into ancient Greek when you can have the original words of Herodotus himself (7.50)?  Behold:
κρέσσον δὲ πάντα θαρσέοντα ἥμισυ τῶν δεινῶν πάσχειν μᾶλλον ἢ πᾶν χρῆμα προδειμαίνοντα μηδαμὰ μηδὲν παθεῖν.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb, 2010, 14:44:20 by billberg23 »

Search Tools