Why text automatically becomes bold or italics in a Word file being translated by using Trados (Workbench)?

21july1962

• Semi-Newbie
Hello friends,

While trying to search for an easy WinAlign manual, I came to know about this website.  I have found that it contains many topics relating to Trados and therefore, I became its member.  It has a lot of material in Greek which I am not conversant with but still I find that it is a very useful and informative site.

I am a new user of Trados (Version 7.0) and I have Win XP Professional and Office 2003. I sometimes face a peculiar problem.  While translating a Word file with Workbench, the text automatically becomes bold, italics or superscribed when I open a new segment.  Sometimes, it is ok when I open and translate a new segment but when I move on to the next segment, the text in the previous segment automatically becomes bold or italics.  It is a very annoying problem.

Sometimes, I select the whole text and press "Clear Formatting" which fixes the problem but this is not a good way to tackle this problem as I have to reformat it after translation.

Could you tell me why it happens and what should be done to avoid this situation.

Regards,
Sanjeev

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Hi Sanjeev,

There are many solutions to this. Usually, there is something wrong with the Word document formatting at the first place. You can simply paste your text in Wordpad/Notepad and then back to Word, to see if this fixes the issue.
Alternatively, you can also import the Word document to TagEditor (although you need a slighter later version of TagEditor to do this).

See also:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/133529-unwanted_bold_text_in_trados_with_word.html
http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/MegaBBS/thread-view.asp?threadid=13656&messageid=172720

21july1962

• Semi-Newbie
Hi Spiros,

Thanks so much for the informative links.  I'll read them and try to solve the problem.

Regards,

Sanjeev

Search Tools