God has entrusted me with myself (Epictetus, Περὶ προσοχῆς) → ἐμὲ ἐκεῖνος συνέστησεν ἐμαυτῷ

kia · 13 · 7347

kia

• Semi-Newbie
I  want to tattoo my back with Greek quotes help!! please

HI, i have found a quote from Epictetus in English but i want it in greek.....can someone translate this to greek for me ???
thanks!!

"God has entrusted me with myself"
« Last Edit: 05 Apr, 2009, 07:37:22 by billberg23 »

vbd.

ἐγὼ δ' ἔχω, τίνι με δεῖ ἀρέσκειν, τίνι ὑποτετάχθαι, τίνι πείθεσθαι: τῷ θεῷ καὶ μετ' ἐκεῖνον. ἐμὲ ἐκεῖνος συνέστησεν ἐμαυτῷ καὶ τὴν ἐμὴν προαίρεσιν ὑπέταξεν ἐμοὶ μόνῳ δοὺς κανόνας εἰς χρῆσιν αὐτῆς τὴν ὀρθήν

The text in bold is the part you're looking for. It says however He "entrusted me with myself", and "he" or "He" refers to the word "τῷ θεῷ" (to god/God) in the previous sentence. Meaning, the sentence alone doesn't make as much sense as it does in english. So you might wanna use

ἐμὲ θεός συνέστησεν ἐμαυτῷ / ἐμὲ Θεός συνέστησεν ἐμαυτῷ

or

θεός με συνέστησεν ἐμαυτῷ / Θεός με συνέστησεν ἐμαυτῷ
« Last Edit: 08 Jun, 2008, 11:21:11 by wings »
At last, I have peace.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
ἐγὼ δ' ἔχω, τίνι με δεῖ ἀρέσκειν, τίνι ὑποτετάχθαι, τίνι πείθεσθαι: τῷ θεῷ καὶ μετ' ἐκεῖνον. ἐμὲ ἐκεῖνος συνέστησεν ἐμαυτῷ καὶ τὴν ἐμὴν προαίρεσιν ὑπέταξεν ἐμοὶ μόνῳ δοὺς κανόνας εἰς χρῆσιν αὐτῆς τὴν ὀρθήν
Bravo, Ev1H!!  We've been looking in vain for that text!  Can you tell us what work, book/chapter/section of Epictetus it is?  Many thanks!

vbd.

It's Περὶ προσοχῆς, line 12. You can find the text in wikisource. At least in it's Greek version, Βικιθήκη.

« Last Edit: 08 Jun, 2008, 11:23:35 by wings »
At last, I have peace.

kia

• Semi-Newbie
thank you all for the help....but one last question...can anyone recommend maybe a better quote, or a more common one that greeks use for strength or pride???? i am half GREEK and i am very proud....I want this phrase on my back so it has to be amazing!!!!! also do u know of any different font styles in greek??
THANK TOU SOOOO MUCH

billberg23

• Words ail me.
thank you all for the help....but one last question...can anyone recommend maybe a better quote, or a more common one that greeks use for strength or pride???? i am half GREEK and i am very proud....I want this phrase on my back so it has to be amazing!!!!! also do u know of any different font styles in greek??
THANK TOU SOOOO MUCH
How about the epitaph the great writer Nikos Kazantzakis wrote for himself:

Δεν ελπίζω τίποτα
Δε φοβούμαι τίποτα
Είμαι λεύτερος

(I have no hope, I have no fear, I am free)

— or is that a bit too "amazing"?  (-:

kia

• Semi-Newbie
hi....i am still stuck can anyone give me some ideas of strong or courageous GREEK Sayings or quotes that i can permanently place on my body!!!! i am not too familiar with many....and the one from Epictetus is ancient Greek...I would like something written in modern Greek please....(can u also put the English translation for me?!?!?) thanks, KIa

dmtinker

• Semi-Newbie
I've been trying to find the correct translation (preferably as it was originally written).  I've asked around and so far the translations I got are:

1. Ο Θεος εχει εμπιστευστει σε εμενα τον ιδιο μου τον εαυτον

2. Ο Θεός μου έχει ανατεθεί με τον εαυτό μου

3. ἐμὲ ἐκεῖνος συνέστησεν ἐμαυτῷ

as well as the stupid, unavoidable "it's Greek to me" jokes.

The quote has a lot of meaning to me and I would like to have it engraved.  I don't want to spend the money and find out later it was mistranslated.  I promise it won't wind up on a bumper sticker or the side of a van.

If I posted in the wrong forum, I apologize.  If you could help me, I would be very appreciative.

David....

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour

kia

• Semi-Newbie
I have finally decided with this:

Eleftheria i Thanatos...!!!!! and the Greek Motto is perfect on my shoulder!!! thanks to everyone who helped me! xo
kia

Search Tools