τὰ χρήματ' ἐν ταῖς οἰκίαις λιποῦσαι αἱ σώφρονες ἔμενον ἐκεῖ παρὰ τῇ θαλάττῃ φυλαξόμεναι τούς πολεμίους.

jmorsay

I think this means "The prudent women who are leaving the goods in the houses remained there in the sea ,being gaurded by the hostile men."

Is this right?

Thank you

billberg23

• Words ail me.
ἔμενον is imperfect:  were remaining, kept staying, used to stay.

"In the sea" would be ἐν τῇ θαλάττῃ. We want to avoid drowning the poor ladies!  παρὰ τῇ θαλάττῃ is simply "by the sea."

Again, φυλάττομαι (middle) means "avoid," and the future participle expresses purpose. 
« Last Edit: 01 May, 2009, 04:36:21 by billberg23 »

jmorsay

vbd.

After leaving their possessions at home, the prudent women were staying there by the sea to avoid the enemies.
The prudent women left their possessions at home and were remaining near the sea in order to avoid the hostile men.
At last, I have peace.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Yes, JM, watch carefully how vbd translates these two phrases:
After leaving their possessions at home ... in order to avoid the hostile men.
Your "Leaving the goods in the houses" would be translated with λείπουσαι, the present participle.  But notice that this is λιποῦσαι, the aorist participle.  An aorist participle always indicates action before the action of the main verb.  That's why vbd translates it "After leaving..."

As I said in my previous post, the future participle indicates purpose.  Your "avoiding the hostile men" would be translated with the present participle, φυλασσόμεναι (or φυλαττόμεναι).  But notice that this is φυλαξόμεναι, the future participle.  That's why vbd translates it "in order to avoid ... "

Search Tools