Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257625

banned8

[waxing philosophical]Allow me this philosophical interpolation: Isn't "religious" what we make of something? How something makes us feel? Rather than what others consider religious for themselves?[/waxing philosophical]

nicolettaninos

I totally agree with you, however as my family have many crosses within there homes in Corfu i was confused as to which one would be the most "religious" even though what you say id so true......religion is what we make it.

Thanks again

Nicoletta

Live-Love-Laugh

dougvlachos

• Semi-Newbie
hey guys,
   i need some help with a tattoo please and thanks, im getting my grandfathers name on myself and i want it in greek lettering, his name is Pericles Vlachos can you translate it with caps and small case. is there a big differnce in ancient and modern?

λinaπ

• Love my dog, love me
hey guys,
   i need some help with a tattoo please and thanks, im getting my grandfathers name on myself and i want it in Greek lettering, his name is Pericles Vlachos can you translate it with caps and small case. is there a big difference in ancient and modern?

Hey yourself Doug!

Your grandfather's name in Greek looks like this:  Περικλής Βλάχος

In ancient Greek it would all be in capital letters, like this ΠΕΡΙΚΛΗΣ ΒΛΑΧΟΣ though if you want it in archaic letters maybe someone could oblige, as I don't have this font on my office computer - otherwise I can let you have it later today

Added by the fontmaster:

« Last Edit: 03 May, 2007, 16:07:14 by nickel »
Λίνα Παπαδοπούλου

Michael

• Semi-Newbie
ΟΙ ΣΙΔΗΡΕΟΙ ΘΕΣΜΟΙ
Lower case:  οἱ σιδήρεοι θεσμοί

(Assuming you mean "the iron-clad code of laws.")

Cheers for the help. I read a book which said the spartans followed the iron code or warriors code sounded like a cool idea for a tattoo. Would it still be written the same?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Cheers for the help. I read a book which said the spartans followed the iron code or warriors code sounded like a cool idea for a tattoo. Would it still be written the same?
Ah, if you're talking about Spartans, you should use their word for law, ῥήτρα, which referred to the binding decrees and laws of their kings.  So

σιδηρέα ῥήτρα  (ΣΙΔΗΡΕΑ ΡΗΤΡΑ)
« Last Edit: 03 May, 2007, 17:43:56 by billberg23 »

Michael

• Semi-Newbie
Ah, if you're talking about Spartans, you should use their word for law, ῥήτρα, which referred to the binding decrees and laws of their kings.  So

σιδηρέα ῥήτρα  (ΣΙΔΗΡΕΑ ΡΗΤΡΑ)

Hey cheers mate thats awesome I can finally get my tat.
Cheers bud.

dougvlachos

• Semi-Newbie
hey linap,
 thank you very much now i can get my tattoo remebering my grand father. but if you could show me some of those fonts you where talking about it would be a great help. it would give me some great ideas.

λinaπ

• Love my dog, love me
hey linap,
 thank you very much now i can get my tattoo remebering my grand father. but if you could show me some of those fonts you where talking about it would be a great help. it would give me some great ideas.

Hi again, Doug,

If you go back to my original reply, you will see your grandad's name in the archaic font I told you of,
added by the fontmaster

Cheers!

@ Nickel: Thanks, oh fontmaster!
Λίνα Παπαδοπούλου

peasy_jp

• Semi-Newbie
Hi all, Ive been in love with this Socrates quote for quite a few years now and am ready to have it tattooed onto myself. I would like to get the translation as I think it would make the tattoo a little more unique.

the quote is:
Let him that would move the world, first move himself

Thanks for your help

Justin

banned8

Hi, Justin.

The web is filled with paraphrases of what the ancients said, sometimes even of made-up quotations. I can’t place this one, and some web pages even attribute it to Aristotle or Sophocles or Seneca. And you won't get any more information out of them.

A quick search at www.ellopos.net (especially Plato's works) was of no help. The saying sounds suspiciously close to the saying attributed to Archimedes by Pappus of Alexandria: Give me a place to stand on and I will move the earth (but he was talking of levers).

In Phaedrus (245.d.7), Socrates says (I have removed irrelevant words):

κινήσεως ἀρχὴ τὸ αὐτὸ αὑτὸ κινοῦν

The self-moving is the beginning of motion

You can read the entire passage here:

http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/ancient-greece/plato/plato-phaedrus.asp

I’m afraid this is the best I can do. Let's see if the classicists here have any better ideas.

kim

Kim, you're right, I'd forgotten. Click on the image link for the Modern Greek version of "Always by my side, Till death do us part."

Hi Nick,

Once again you are brilliant! Thanks much for the translation and the fonts. You guys rock! Thanks a million!

Hey Nick,

Finally we got the tattoo done! how do i post the photo?
Thanks much!

« Last Edit: 06 May, 2007, 16:34:45 by nickel »

banned8

Finally we got the tattoo done! how do i post the photo?
Thanks much!

On posting photos:

You go to: http://imageshack.us/
Browse for the photo in the appropriate folder of your hard disk
Then press host it!
Once it is uploaded, choose the very last link suggested by the site.

Start a message here, press the third icon at the bottom row and paste the link from imageshack inside the img /img codes.

TS

• Semi-Newbie
Hi all,

Really sorry if this has beenasked already but have gone through most of the forum and searched but couldn't find it.

I'm looking for a translation of "Only the dead have seen the end of the war" which is often atributed to Plato but I am not sure which dialogue it is from and have struggled to find it.

I'd like to get it in Ancient/Attic greek and if anyone could give me a jpg that would be great.

Again apologiesif it is has already comeup.

Thanks in advance. TS

banned8

Please have a look at the article here.

After some of my own research, I tend to agree with the author's conclusions.

Search Tools