Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257038

ajr

• Semi-Newbie
This thread is amazing. Ok so through a cancellation I got an appointment with an amazing tattoo artist for Sunday. Part of it is going to be courage written in Ancient Greek. I did do a search and found it already translated on this thread but this is where I get confused. It seems to be done 2 different ways.

On this thread I found (θάρρος,ΘΑΡΡΟΣ) and (ΘΑΡΣΟΣ, θάρσος)
Are they both right and i'm just looking like an idiot because I don't know this language?

And whichever is "right" in the context of courage when you are in battle, and the courage of everyday life, is it possible to have it done in these 2 fonts. (I want to give the tattoo artist some options since were not quite sure about placement right now)

https://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=309.msg67396#msg67396

Thank you so much, you guys are great

edit- being a complete brat could I also see it in this font https://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=309.msg43027#msg43027
« Last Edit: 17 Aug, 2007, 07:39:28 by ajr »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
On this thread I found (θάρρος,ΘΑΡΡΟΣ) and (ΘΑΡΣΟΣ, θάρσος)
Are they both right and i'm just looking like an idiot because I don't know this language?
They're both correct, but Ι'd go for θάρρος,ΘΑΡΡΟΣ, if I were you.  That spelling is peculiar to the ancient Athenian dialect, but it's the one that caught on and became standard for all time (it's the way to say "courage" in modern Greek, too).
The Fontmaster may have time to deal with your font issues later.

banned8

Courage. Fontmaster's contribution hereinbelow:

leondari84

• Semi-Newbie
id love to have this translated for a tattoo i want.
thanks
Hi i was just wondering if anyone could help me translate the following words into their Ancient Greek equivalents i would greatly appreciate it thanks :)

Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, Ether

its for a design of a tattoo i am working on :) thank you! :)

banned8

In the same order, as in Aristotle:

γῆ, ὕδωρ, πῡρ, ἀήρ, αἰθήρ

ΓΗ, ΥΔΩΡ, ΠΥΡ, ΑΗΡ, ΑΙΘΗΡ

funkiepunkie

• Semi-Newbie
Hi everyone,  I was wondering if someone could help me with the ancient greek translation of the wrods: mind, body, spirit. Thanks so much!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Hi everyone,  I was wondering if someone could help me with the ancient greek translation of the wrods: mind, body, spirit. Thanks so much!
Mind:  νοῦς   ΝΟΥΣ
Body:  σῶμα   ΣΩΜΑ
Spirit:  ψυχή   ΨΥΧΗ 

miii

• Semi-Newbie
Hi would you be able to help me with the translation of "Only God Can Judge Me" into ancient greek?

Thanks

Euterpe

I am not an expert, so you may want to wait for someone to confirm...

I think the best way to convey the meaning is to change the sentence a bit.

Κριτής μου ὁ Θεός = God is my judge

Moderator's addition: Do have a look here as well > https://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=4185.0
« Last Edit: 18 Aug, 2007, 21:17:49 by nickel »

ajr

• Semi-Newbie
Thank you so much, i printed it off in a lot of sizes so we'll see what works. Appointments tomorrow I promise to post a picture.

zwalker1

• Semi-Newbie
Hello, everyone!  I've been reading through this forum, and the help that everyone's been giving has been amazing!
I'm looking to have a biblical verse translated into ancient Greek.  The verse is John 1:5 -

"The Light shineth in Darkness, and the Darkness comprehended it not"

Many thanks in advance to anyone who helps out!

banned8

(καὶ) τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει,
καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν.

"The Light shineth in Darkness, and the Darkness comprehended it not" (John 1:5)
« Last Edit: 20 Aug, 2007, 00:55:07 by nickel »

zendez

• Semi-Newbie
i was hoping you could find the best translation to the phrase, "for my mothers." Recently, two of my bestfriends have lost their mothers, who i would proudly call my own, to cancer. I also have experienced the loss a parent. The meaning of this is phrase is a dedication; to hold strong and never give up. A lesson i learned from my mothers, is now for my mothers. If you could please help me, I would deeply appreciate it. I've cross-checked other online translations, but keep finding faults, but this site seems to folllow through pretty well. After all, it is a commemoritve tattoo, i want to make sure whats under my skin is what i want. Besides, the language is so beautiful

PLEASE HELP,
Mikey Z

billberg23

• Words ail me.
i was hoping you could find the best translation to the phrase, "for my mothers."
Ancient Greek would probably have it this way: ταῖς μητράσιν ("for the mothers").
Our condolences to you and your friends.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug, 2007, 02:31:27 by billberg23 »

zwalker1

• Semi-Newbie
(καὶ) τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει,
καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν.

"The Light shineth in Darkness, and the Darkness comprehended it not" (John 1:5)

thank you so much!!

Search Tools