Import tab-delimited Word glossaries directly into MultiTerm iX

spiros · 2 · 4060

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
This macro was found in Wordfast yahoo newsgroup.
Notes in this colour have been added by me.

To import tab-delimited Word glossaries directly into MultiTerm iX, according to Trados, the "most advanced terminology management technology on the market today. It helps you create and maintain monolingual, bilingual and multilingual glossaries. Designed to empower local termbase management, it is optimized to fit translators' needs to allow comfortable glossary and terminology work.  Easy management of local termbases: Powerful import/export definitions [...]  Flexible import functions enable integration of lists that were created with other applications." without going via MultiTerm 5 and the Migration Tool:

1. Open your glossary in Word.

1b. Make sure that the option Replace as you type straight quotes with smart quotes, from Tools, AutoCorrect Options, Autoformat and Autoformat as you type is unchecked.

2. Make sure the glossary is correctly tab-delimited, i.e., if there is only a source term but no target, the entry requires a tab then a hard return, the only tabs should be between the source and target terms.

2b. If you have the text in excel, copy both columns and paste them with Edit, Paste Special, Unformatted text.

3. Run the iX_tab_delimited_import macro.  When prompted, enter the required information.  For Language enter e.g. Greek, English.  For Language code enter e.g. EN-US for US English, EL for Greek, FR-FR for French (France).

3b. Make sure there are no blank lines at the end and if you have problems importing delete the UTF-16 declaration at the beginning:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-16' ?>

4. Save file as Coded text → Unicode.

5. Close file and change the extension from *txt  to *.xml.

6. Open MultiTerm iX.

7. Create a termbase (skip this step if you are importing into an existing termbase) via Termbase → Create, select directory, Next, Biligual Glossary, Next, enter Name, Next.  Under Languages select and add the required source and target languages.
Note:  If you select, ahem, "Sublanguages", you must choose the same "sublanguages" you set in the glossary macro.  And the Field label *must* correspond to the Language you entered in the glossary macro.
For example, if you entered <Arabic>, <AR-LB>, <French> and <FR-FR> in the macro, and created a MultiTerm iX termbase with "sublanguages" <Arabic (Lebanese)> and <French (France)>, you must change the field labels from <Arabic (Lebanese)> and <French (France)> to <Arabic> and <French>.
Click Next, Next, Next, Finish.

8. Check the correct SL and TL are set in the Database Definition e.g. by right-clicking the termbase and selecting Termbase Catalogue...
Then go to the Import tab.  Use the Default import definition and click Process...  Click Browse to select the *.xml file.  Check the "Fast import (import file is fully compliant with MultiTerm XML)" checkbox (it is not that much faster, but saves you from selecting an Exclusion file), then click Next.  Voilà c'est tout.

Works with Word 2K.  In case of error, check error log and check the languages and language codes again.  You'll have to adapt something - probably the Unicode procedure - with Word XP.  Modify macro as required for additional XML fields, e.g. definition, context...

Gabriella, T3 ~Translation, Terminology, Training.  g.szondy AT n-online.de

Here is a sample from a MultiTerm iX xml glossary:

- <mtf>
- <
conceptGrp>
- <
languageGrp>
  <
language type="English" lang="EN-US" /> 
- <
termGrp>
  <
term>1080i custom</term
  </
termGrp>
  </
languageGrp>
- <
languageGrp>
  <
language type="Greek" lang="EL" /> 
- <
termGrp>
  <
term>Προσαρμοσμένη 1080i</term
  </
termGrp>
  </
languageGrp>
  </
conceptGrp>
- <
conceptGrp>
- <
languageGrp>
  <
- <
termGrp>
  <
term>1080i optimized</term
  </
termGrp>
  </
languageGrp>
- <
languageGrp>
  <
- <
termGrp>
  <
term>Βελτιστοποιημένη 1080i</term
  </
termGrp>
  </
languageGrp>
  </
conceptGrp>
- <
conceptGrp>
- <
languageGrp>
  <
- <
termGrp>
  <
term>1080i standard</term
  </
termGrp>
  </
languageGrp>
- <
languageGrp>
  <
- <
termGrp>
  <
term>Κανονική 1080i</term
  </
termGrp>
  </
languageGrp>
  </
conceptGrp>
- <
conceptGrp>
- <
languageGrp>
« Last Edit: 01 May, 2008, 19:22:58 by spiros »

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
I just optizimized this macro for English-Greek glossary conversion as part of the syllabus for the Software & Website Localisation at meta|φράση.

Also changed the UTF-16 declaration to UTF-8 as in many cases no entries were imported due to encoding clash (UTF-16 of the declaration and UTF-8 as saved from Word).

Search Tools